Bladed spokes question...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stwutter

I have Campag Zondas on my bike, which suit me fine as they're light enough but pretty sturdy too.

A while back I had a bit of an incident with a brick, and the front wheel went out of true. As is my want, I had a bash myself with the help of the internet, a spoke key an a bike book, and I'm pleased to say that it worked a treat, and the wheels have stayed bang on for a few hundred miles since then.

My question is more out of interest than anything, but, as the spokes on Zondas are bladed, now I've tweaked them to true the wheel, a number of the blades are now at angles to each other, which I would think kind of defeats the object of them? To be honest, at my level the amount of difference this makes is so miniscule it's daft, but how do mechanics deal with this? I imagine it's never an issue with normal spokes, but they must come up against this, and was wondering if they just accept this as the norm, or whether there's a way round it - to get the wheel and the blades straight?

I'm not mucking around with a perfectly straight wheel, but just thought I'd throw it out there so I can sleep easier.... which is all rather sad ;)

Cheers!

You use two tools - one to tighten the nipple and the other to hold the spoke aligned in position and stop it twisting as you tighten.

slow down

The extra forces on the incorrect angle of the spokes will cause increased pressure on the wheel, leading to the spokes exploding and the rim crumbling.;)

Or maybe not ;)

domtyler

Über Member
Just rub KY jelly onto all your spokes that are out of line and they will slip through the air much easier, restoring your previous aerodynamics. Please get a friend to video you doing this and post it on here so that we can make sure you have done it properly. Thanks.

OP
OP
Stwutter

Stwutter

andy_wrx said:
You use two tools - one to tighten the nipple and the other to hold the spoke aligned in position and stop it twisting as you tighten.

If I may be sold bold as to interrupt this scything exchange of wit, what's the other tool called, or can you just use pliers to hold the blade?

Dunno about Campag, but Shimano did a pair of tools for their wheels, the pair being two of the same thing, basically looking like open-end spanners with a 'spanner jawed-end' to tighten the nipple and with just a slot at the other end which you hold the spoke with.

But yeah, a spoke key or spanner for the nipple and a pair of pliers to hold the spoke straight would do it, I've retrued my Shimano R550's that way.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Non bladed spokes also twist as you tighten them, it's just that it doesn't show.

bonj2

If you get the blades the wrong way round, they'll actually be worse than normal spokes ... :biggrin:... duh!

OP
OP
Stwutter

Stwutter

Well, I had a bash at straightening the blades last night, but it seemed all-to fiddly and I just knew if I carried on I'd lose a spoke (or possibly an eye...), so I'm leaving be. Being a do-it-yourself trainee on bikes, and reasonably succesful one, it's my want to have a go myself, and I trued the wheel perfectly, but forgot about keeping bladed spokes straight and all that jazz (in fact I managed to get rid of the 3/4mm wobble that still existed, so it wasn't a waste of time). Now, the ones that are a little 'wonky', so to speak, don't really wanna go back, so sod it. I only have 3 or 4 spokes slighty off from straight, and if it loses me 5 seconds on my 50 miler this Saturday, I'll just have to jolly well learn to live with it I suppose.

Cheers for the above advice/comments/sarcasm... :biggrin:

tony_s

Would've thought you should have got the relevant tools when you purchased the wheels. Mine (not Zondas tho') came with the funny round thing to hold the spoke straight, a miniature spanner for spoke nipples and a long magnet for manoevering spoke nipples into place.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
tony_s said:
Would've thought you should have got the relevant tools when you purchased the wheels. Mine (not Zondas tho') came with the funny round thing to hold the spoke straight, a miniature spanner for spoke nipples and a long magnet for manoevering spoke nipples into place.
So did my Mavics. I didn't know what it was for and threw it away. :biggrin:

nickwill

I've got Campag Neutrons and they don't come with tools. The most difficult tool to get hold of is the 5mm nut driver. I tracked one down by googling the term. I think I got it from 'Total Cycling' in the end.

Top Bottom