Blaze Hill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crossers

Blaze Hill and Lamaload are some of the best climbs around the area. These are on par with the Rake which is in Ramsbottom and that is one tough cookie. I have used Blaze and Lamaload all year in prep for the Cheshire Cat and Chris Walker Challenge. I was even riding up them when there was 6 feet of snow on the sides of the road. Lamaload can catch you out at the bottom as it raises steeply quickly.

There is a awesome 45 mile route that starts/finishes in Knutsford. This takes in both climbs and one more from wildboarclough and down into Sutton which is nearly as steep but not as long. The route finishes on flat roads back passed Jodrell Banks. Nice evening ride.

I went up the hard way from Jenkin Chapel last year, wanted to do lots of puffing and panting, but lots of bikes and walkers coming down so I had to keep composing myself and look as though everything was under control - you know how it is :whistle:

At the top however, chavved-up Saxo with the doors and hatch open, thudding stereo and 4 lads leaning against the bonnet, watching me with interest.

Expecting sarcastic 'encouragement' if I looked like I was struggling, I had to get out of the saddle and sprint up over the top, with a suitably 'I'm not trying, this is easy' look pasted on my face :whistle:

As I passed them, I saw they were drinking cans of Red Bull : kinda amused me that I was the one with my lungs trying to jump out of my chest, they were leaning against a car and drinking the Red Bull.

I told a friend and he laughed, said that they'd probably had a hard night the night before, had stonking hangovers, and no matter how bad I felt on the hill, they probably felt worse...:biggrin:

As Crossers says, it's worth tagging-on Wildboarclough - lovely picturesque drop down the valley and then that nasty/amusing 1:6 past the Stone Cross at the end

From Warrington direction I go over to Alderley Edge and up Artists Lane, then choice of either
- into Prestbury for Bollington, Blaze Hill, Lamaload, Wildboarclough
- or Prestbury, Bollington, Blaze Hill, Jenkin Chapel & Pym's Chair, Goyt Valley, Wildboarclough
- or Mottram St Andrews, Adlington, Pott Shrig, Brickworks, Windgather, Goyt Valley, Wildboarclough
then out of bottom either striaght down to Sutton-4-Lane-Ends, or down to Macc Forest and through Langley to Sutton, then Gawsworth, Siddington & home

Choices, choices !

'course at the moment it's all bolloxed as they're digging the bypass past Alderley Edge so that's inaccessible and the Goyt is also dug up - but I understand that's due to open in another couple of weeks, so we'll be on again ! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Hacienda71

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Went up another good one this morning dropped down into the Goyt Valley from Pym Chair and across the dam at the end of the Errwood reservoir, out towards Buxton. Another cracking hill dead straight 500ish meters steep straight and nowhere to hide :eek: think it becomes Goyt's Lane. Car with a bike rack on slowed as it came down the hill and the father and kids shouted and clapped encouragement as I sweated past them, don't get that too often. All good and a nice long decent down the A5004 into Whaley Bridge afterwards.

chocolatelegs

Blaze hill and lamalode are both nice climbs. I have been up one called old gate nick? Which is in the same area.
I still think the toughest in the area is monks road. From charlesworth over the tops towards little hayfield.

marcello

wow guys your not kidding went up the wizard through addlington then up the brickyard pyms chair goyt valley back throgh macc then bollington to av a go at blaze hill tough but not as painfull as flying down the briki i see a fellow comrade standing with his bike appearing to be in distress as he waved franticly as i flew passed, yes of course i hit the breaks at 36mph eventualy stoped turned and began the climb to lend a helping hand as i approched i said how can i be of assistance! the reply i got for my trouble was do you mind ime on the phone !!!! say what you will about this individual" but i would do the same again when ever i see a cyclist in distress.

marcello

blaze hill is hard as its a long hill with about 20 pc gradient but it does have flat bits to give you recovery,, pyms chair via jenkins chapel is just brutal it rears up right at the start and gets harder and harder with twists and turns it must be 28 pc in parts with no recovery spaces ive done it twice just to prove i could but think ile go up via the windgather way in future still a vry tough climb but more enjoyable.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Ahhh the joys of blaze hill, the one after, Pym's chair then the slow climb along Goyt valley, and then up to the cat and fiddle.... a nice ride....I never see anyone doing it when I'm cycling up it, glad I'm not alone!
Last time I did it I didn't fancy Pym's chair, took a left and came across a 20% climb - I thought this route would be easy...I would have walked but there was someone behind me....mind you when I reached the top there wasn't....

marcello

nice that Patrick you are not alone i did that ride today though swerved blaze hill and wet up the brickyard left at macc rd down the storming decent up to kettleshulme then right up windgather to pym down the hill then that loveley ride through goyt up to the cat n fiddle then down the sweeping road towards macc but turn right int macc forrest past lamalode on the left up deadmans hill (tough 1 that) then go DOWN blaze hill brakes on as you can easy hit 40mph then back to cheadle via poynton nice litle 2 and half hour 30 mile ride for a 53 year old.

marcello

cheers for that vet" will time myself on that this week, dont think ile ask ben g along though as ime not a fully fledged massacict yet ""

marcello

yep i agree that is if you go up past the jenkin chapel,, and its a good job you then get the roaring decent down to the goyt as anoter climb say like dead mans hill on top of that would definetly see me off,, and then ide have sleepless nights :cry: untill i go out and conquor my demons, and thre is nothing sweeter than being victorious over myself"":boxing:

Top Bottom