Bleeding avid elixir 1 brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

straas

Matt
Preface: I have no experience of hydraulic brakes.

Bought a 2nd hand MTB a few years ago and have used it on and off. The back brake has never really worked very well. Pulls to the bar and limited stopping power.

Got a bleed kit and have just carried out the procedure using an SRAM guide on YouTube. When bleeding the back caliper I noticed fluid coming out from around one of the calipers.

Finished the process and the brake doesn't really feel improved (haven't been out on the road yet) but the brake lever isn't firm and didn't feel like it was stopping me in the garden, but was hard to concentrate as I've not exactly got a massive garden to work with.

Guessing there is an issue with the caliper seal?

Not sure where to go from here?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Did you remove pads before bleeding. Should be no fluid from caliper other than a dribble from the bleed port when you disconnect the kit.

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
Yeah removed the pads and packed it with bits of old plastic membership cards I cut to size.

When pulling the syringe I was getting a lot of air, then when pushing back noticed a drip coming from the caliper.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Yeah removed the pads and packed it with bits of old plastic membership cards I cut to size.

When pulling the syringe I was getting a lot of air, then when pushing back noticed a drip coming from the caliper.

Did you have a bit of tubing on the calliper bleed nipple and had you undone the bleed nipple nut?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
These are horrid brakes. I had them on a Cinder Cone. Needed bleeding every 3 months as the fluid absorbed water and expanded (no provision for expansion, so the rear brake just dragged more and more). Glad to see the back of that bike.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Sounds like there scrap.
When they worked properly they were really good.
When they don't there terrible.

See if you can get some Shimano brakes

OP
OP
straas

straas

Matt
How much would I be looking at for replacement brakes?

I don't really do any mountain biking, this is more for just having a bit of fun going places my road bikes can't

carlosfandangus

Über Member
I had Avid on my Gary Fisher MTB, lots of problems my LBS said it would cost more to service (once one seal is replaced, another goes) than fit a new Shimano set, I got a full set off ebay from a dealer for £60 they came ready filled, hoses attached and took 30 mins to fit, the Avid ones went in the bin

Top Bottom