Bleeding grabbing gits !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I have never used free cycle or gumtree, I put everything i don't want on eBay at at a .01p start. if its large collection only, last Sunday I emptied out a 1250 ltr oil tank, and was going to pay that council to take it away, I put it on the bay first on a three day auction, collection only. It sold for £56. I'm pleased with that.

Reactions: Maz

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Even if the stuff gets sold at car boot sales, at least it isn't ending up in landfill.
...is the point. It's always nicer if you're helping someone out directly, but to be honest, if someone can be bothered to go to the trouble to collect something and take it to a car boot or put it on ebay, good luck to them. I can't. Hopefully it'll end up being useful to someone in the end, and if it makes a few quid for the middleman, where's the harrm in that?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I used to be part of a local 'lancaster-freecycle' scheme which was OK apart from the butter wouldn't melt lefties. I did get a vintage Jones treadle sewing machine for free, and it works!

What annoyed me about it was a post in the Wanted section "Wanted: like minded people to stop a shop from selling golliwogs. We believe that such items are offensive blah blah blah and should never be seen or sold." ... I emailed saying i'd been after a gollywog for ages and asked for the price and location of the shop... then I got a warning from the toss-pot who administers the scheme. I can't recall what actually got me banned, but it was teasing another similar 'wanted' post.

Putting a few bits on freecycle in a pre sort out before packing to move house and every single reply for the item has been a " can i have this , my phone is xxxx "

Can't see what your problem is... you want rid, they want.

Davidc

Guru
I have never used free cycle or gumtree, I put everything i don't want on eBay at at a .01p start. if its large collection only, last Sunday I emptied out a 1250 ltr oil tank, and was going to pay that council to take it away, I put it on the bay first on a three day auction, collection only. It sold for £56. I'm pleased with that.

I basically agree with this. Only difference is that quite a lot of lower value easy to sell stuff goes to a charity (Sue Rider) for them to sell and make money from.

I've been quite shocked at some of the amounts I've made on ebay, especially for older computer stuff.

I dislike the throw away culture we have and prefer anything which can be re-used to be re-used, especially if it returns a few quid to me on the way.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Can't see what your problem is... you want rid, they want.

I think it might be the way it's approached - I want this, you have to ring me to sort it out. I don't know if the OP gives contact details in his ads, but even if not, it would be polite to say "I'm interested, can you email me a number and I'll call you, or here's my number if you prefer to call me, or we'll arrange by email". Just trying to be obliging makes a difference.

I got my old spin dryer through freecycle, but don't use it myself. I either give stuff to charity, or dispose of it to friends.

The charity I work for have used freecycle in the past to get rid of things we're given or find, but I think now we're going to have to be a bit more mercenary and EBay things.

PaulB

Legendary Member
We had a nasty experience when we joined Freeserve. Never again!

We'd bought a new three-piece suite so wanted rid of the existing one. We could have sold it but we thought, nah. we've had our use out of it so we'd give it away to some lucky recipient. We had a first-come first-served policy but when the first self-serving mare came round, she wanted US to provide her with the transport - AND PAY THE COST - to her house! She whined, 'How am I supposed to get this to my home? You're the ones giving it to me.' We chased her but the next one was more annoying. He came around and criticised everything about it so we had to chase him. We thought we were lucky (to GIVE something away!) when the third caller collected it and took it away...until he called us and complained that one of the couch's feet was broken!

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Right, this is just getting silly.

400bhp

Guru
I dislike the throw away culture we have and prefer anything which can be re-used to be re-used, especially if it returns a few quid to me on the way.

^^this for me^^

We (the west) need to get a hold on this. The last 50 years or so has gone out of control.

Mange-tout

I once offered a nearly new, inoffensive beige sofa on Freecycle. We'd bought two but the 2nd one just wouldn't fit in the space. One lady messed us around - agreed to collect it then at the last minute asked for a photo, only to say it wasn't her style. This from the lady who said she was 'desperate' for a sofa for her living room:ohmy:. I also gave away a lovely retro looking fridge, again nearly new, delivered it to the door to the 'desperate' family only to find they had satellite, a large plasma TV (ours has just been upgraded from an 18 to 21in) and brand new cars in the drive. The thing is I didn't want to just 'get rid', but give the items to someone more deserving.

I won't fall for it again. In the end we gave the sofa to a local charity that re-sells them to people on low income, and will continue to donate to them in future.

yello

I was on our local freecycle list. There was only ever one posting. To say the list was being closed due to inactivity! :laugh:

Top Bottom