Bleeding grabbing gits !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
There you are, I had some spare likes to give away.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I tried giving a couple of things on Freecycle but it was more hassle than it was worth, I experienced a lot of the negatives others have posted. These days I mix and match depending on my mood and what I need to offload. E-bay gets some, books go to a specific charity shop that I also buy books from. I find the Salvation Army worth giving to and I also take stuff to my local tip which has a sales area. I also occasionally give away cycling stuff, or offer very good deals, on forums I use.

I think we all like to imagine whatever we give going to somewhere/someone worthy. But I decided that was just me being arrogant and it's none of my business once it's gone from me. These days I think a freebie is just that and absolutely no strings attached. As an added bonus I've found that since taking that attitude I'm much happier about these sorts of things.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I don't know about freecycle groups in other parts of the country but my local ones had rules that said you couldn't take anything to resell unless the giver offered it for that purpose as in 'Bag of stuff for car booting'.
Also not being overly specific on a wanted ad, so wanting a kettle was ok, but wanting a 'stainless steel kettle from John Lewis with the blue light and must be scale free' wouldn't be allowed.

The rules stated that freecycle was for moving unwanted stuff to those who 'needed' it, as opposed to those wanting free luxuries.

I left freecycle when the 'spirit of freecycle' was lost and members were no longer following the rules and mods were not enforcing them.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I've had some great successes on Freecycle getting rid of unwanted items to generally grateful & happy recipients. I don't put wanted ads up very much, but I did put one up for a child cycle seat & had a positive reply.

When I went to pick it up, the donor was a chap I went to Senegal for three weeks with, in 1992, who I had lost contact with for twenty years or so. Last heard of in Southampton area he & his family only live five miles away from us now & we have since met up several times :smile:

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Putting a few bits on freecycle in a pre sort out before packing to move house and every single reply for the item has been a " can i have this , my phone is xxxx "
One applicant in particular said he wanted 2 things and i fell for the line till he then asked for another item and he could come... half an hour before he was due to collect the other 2 items.Told him not to bother turning up.
Seems my suspicions about the local freecycle has again been confirmed as all you seem to get is people after what they can get to flog at a car boot /ebay.
The wanted requests are just as bad, today there have been at least 3 asks for everything to set up houses.You see these posts every week but as time has gone on i havebecome more suspicious as who in there right mind moves into a house without the means to sit down or sleep , never mind asking for matching , new furniture.
rant over :smile:

Wow, what is this freecycle?

Thats me, Me and my Gf are moving into our first home in July, So far we have an iron. So there are people who are moving into homes without the means to sit down or sleep. Meeeeeeeeeee!

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I got rid of a greenhouse on freecycle (house I moved into had one slap in the middle of the garden, and I didn't want it). The bloke I picked to receive it came and did most of the work of dismantling it and took it all away - I'd have had to dismantle it and take the bits to the tip myself - so it got reused and I saved a lot of effort as well.

It sounds as if an awful lot is down to the mods in your particular area.

yello

But I decided that was just me being arrogant and it's none of my business once it's gone from me.

You're being hard on yourself, but I know what you mean. Personally, I think it's naivety rather than arrogance. We have this wonderfully romantic notion that our donated fridge is somehow going to solve 3rd world hunger We want it to go to a deserving home because in our magnanimity we're giving it away. I dunno, maybe that is arrogance. It just seems a harsh thing to say of what is basically an altruistic intention (even if we get a bit of 'feel good' into the bargain).

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Wow, what is this freecycle?

Thats me, Me and my Gf are moving into our first home in July, So far we have an iron. So there are people who are moving into homes without the means to sit down or sleep. Meeeeeeeeeee!
but would you be asking for new, matching items or be grateful if someone offered you usable furniture ?

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

But why does it matter, if the stuff is unwanted? Charity cases can only expect unmatching suites?
No if you read the whole thread i clearly said people were asking for new specific sorts of furniture etc not unwanted items .If some one has a matching set to give away thats great but it is freecycle rather than gimme cycle .

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
You're being hard on yourself, but I know what you mean. Personally, I think it's naivety rather than arrogance. We have this wonderfully romantic notion that our donated fridge is somehow going to solve 3rd world hunger We want it to go to a deserving home because in our magnanimity we're giving it away. I dunno, maybe that is arrogance. It just seems a harsh thing to say of what is basically an altruistic intention (even if we get a bit of 'feel good' into the bargain).

Appreciate the sentiment Yello but to be fair it's not something I lose any sleep over - at least now I still get the feel good factor and no longer worry about whether it's gone somewhere 'deserving'.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

I have read the whole thread thanks. I still don't see the problem. People are free to give their stuff, or not.

I knew someone once who was quite desperate to sell her house, but when we suggested she reduce the price her attitude was, 'I'm not giving it away,' as if she resented the possibility that someone else might just get something for nothing. By thinking that way she was stuck where she didn't wish to be. I agree with MacB, does it really matter whether recipients are 'deserving' or not?
Again your misquoting , the sentiment shown by me and others is that people are asking for items that are new in wanted adverts and those who reply to offers are that picky they obviously do not need the items ,which is not what the whole spirit of freecyle is about .

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

You're just being silly now. Bye.
byebyelarge.gif

Top Bottom