Bleeding Magura HS11 rim brakes - epic kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ive never really worked out exactly how they work - but I always thought they were different to conventional bicycle hydraulic systems in that there is no reservoir - no need to port the air? In fact if bled properly no air in the system?
There has to be air in the system. What else will take up the space required for delivering more fluid to the slave cylinder when the pads wear down? A vacuum will prevent the fluid from flowing down.

Adjust the pads/space at the lever by moving the piston using the adjustment screws?

Sorry - you do - when you run out of adjustment you change the pads - little red knurled nut on HS33 (can be done on the fly if you want) - I think on the HS11 you have to use an allen key

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Sorry - you do - when you run out of adjustment you change the pads - little red knurled nut on HS33 (can be done on the fly if you want) - I think on the HS11 you have to use an allen key

This matches my impression.

Yes, on the HS11's you use an allen key (can me fiddly with a multi-tool because of the angle so I kept a separate allen key) - on fitting new pads yo ensure that the little screw is fully out. Then , as the pads wear you turn the hollow screw into the lever slightly more and more as needed. I value your advice on this yellow saddle but you are incorrect about this being a one time adjustment.

You keep turning the screw in more as the pads wear (nothing is automatic as far as I know) When it can't be turned in any more thee is nothing to do but change the pads.

Have you had any HS11's yellow?

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
The sticky/stiff piston can cause air to be drawn into the system especially if it's dirty.

Winfried

Hello,

Rather than doing a full bleed, I'd like to just burp the HS11 on a new bike because the lever is a bit spongy even after dialing in the adjustment screw. I assume there are just a few air bubbles in there.

I have a Shimano oil funnel whose end appears to measure ~4,65mm. Does someone know how wide the diameter is of the oil port on today's HS11?

Thank you.

Top Bottom