Bleeding Ultegra Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thinking of bleeding my ultegra di2 brakes - not something I have done before. seen the various bleed kits - with different prices - can anyone recommend a particular kit ? - any other tips tools required etc would be appreciated

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have always had great success with Epic Bleeds kits. Reasonably priced and with good instructions.

si_c

Guru
My suggestion would be to get the Epic kit, it's solid, comes with plenty of mineral oil and works well. I'd also suggest getting the Shimano bleed cup - and if you don't already have one then the road adapter for it - Epic have these on their store anyway at a good price so you can buy it all at once.

That being said, unless you have a good reason to bleed your brakes then I'd leave well alone until you do, it's not a hard process but there's no point doing it unnecessarily.

bobzmyunkle

Epic seems to have a metal adaptor for the bleed cup. Might be worth reading this thread first.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/stripped-the-thread-on-shimano-r9170-lever-bleed-port.266782/

Also don't over tighten the bleed screw as the hex will round off.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N8CzO_Uxgo

Levers and screws made of putty.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
My suggestion would be to get the Epic kit, it's solid, comes with plenty of mineral oil and works well. I'd also suggest getting the Shimano bleed cup - and if you don't already have one then the road adapter for it - Epic have these on their store anyway at a good price so you can buy it all at once.

That being said, unless you have a good reason to bleed your brakes then I'd leave well alone until you do, it's not a hard process but there's no point doing it unnecessarily.

Hmmm. I changed the pads about a year ago. But the breaks aren't performing very well again. I didn't do that many miles on the pads - so was thinking a bleed in order. Bike is 3 years old. Brakes haven't been bled in that time.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Hmmm. I changed the pads about a year ago. But the breaks aren't performing very well again. I didn't do that many miles on the pads - so was thinking a bleed in order. Bike is 3 years old. Brakes haven't been bled in that time.
Brakes dont need bleeding as a matter of course - Shimano use mineral hydraulic oil which last way longer than the DOT types as it is less prone to absorbing water. Before you attempt to do so fit new pads & clean the disk rotors. If you haven't changed them in a year then it is likely just pad wear or contamination. If you do have to bleed them then be very careful not to cross thread or overtighten the insert at the bleed port - they are quite fragile.

Top Bottom