Blight on my Bush

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snakehips

Help needed from gardeners.

Does anybody recognise this disgusting infestation , and perhaps know how to eradicate it ?

IMG_3415.jpg

TIA

Snake

HeyWayne

I'd be confident in saying it's not blight - what type of bush is it?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Could be Powdery Mildew - not much you can do with infected parts except remove and then spray the new/unaffected growth with something like Multirose.

_37401__203953__.jpg

Brains

Legendary Member
Scale bugs

They tend to attack plants that are under stress, so perhaps yours is short of water or ferilizer

To get rid of them it's down to the local Plant shop and get someting with lots of nasty chemicals in it to spray on the underside of the leaves. I forget what its called but it works very well.

I seem to remember my Mum's method was to spray the plant in soapy water (washing up liguid) on a daily basis for a week - that seemed to work quite well as well

it could have been worse, it could have been mould on your mound.

OP
OP
S

snakehips

HeyWayne said:
I'd be confident in saying it's not blight - what type of bush is it?

I believe it to be a lacecap hydrangea. It produces this sort of thing ..........

Hydrangea1c.jpg

The problem started two years ago. After last year's flowering I cut it back drastically. This year the plant has grown back vigorously but the infestation is worse that previously. Many small new leaves have the underside virtually covered in this stuff.
The little maggot like entities look like marshmallow. If you squash them a pale brown fluid emerges. I have never seen any sign of movement from or near them , or anywhere near the plant.

Snake

P.S. Sorry , earlier I posted a question then went out for the afternoon. Bad manners !

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
snakehips said:
I believe it to be a lacecap hydrangea. It produces this sort of thing ..........

Hydrangea1c.jpg

The problem started two years ago. After last year's flowering I cut it back drastically. This year the plant has grown back vigorously but the infestation is worse that previously. Many small new leaves have the underside virtually covered in this stuff.
The little maggot like entities look like marshmallow. If you squash them a pale brown fluid emerges. I have never seen any sign of movement from or near them , or anywhere near the plant.

Snake

That's a sure fire way of sorting the problem :laugh:

Top Bottom