Bloc Titan prescription cycling glasses, a decent alternative ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been quite happy with my Eyepod Hawks over the last years although they are a little flimsy, but at the £80 i paid for them 3yrs back i think they've been good value. They are now £100 for single vision glasses and that got me looking around for some alternatives and not being able to justify the high end prices of the named brands that seem to be £250 - £300 or even more i had a look here on CC and always came up with the same few suppliers:

Optilabs

Extreme Eye Wear

RX Sport

The prices still seemed quite high even if the quality and brand was still some what of an unknown and really i was looking for something with interchangeable lenses if possible as i really like that feature on my Eyepods as i often use the yellow or light blue in lower light conditions and the regular black or full photo chromatic during the day.

So after some searching around i found the Bloc Titan range which looks really good. I like the lens clip in/out system and these are 2 separate lenses, also there's several options within that range that offer 4 lenses as standard, and finally there are many colour options of both the arms, temple band and also even the lenses themselves.

These glasses are £40ish with a single lens or £60 with the 3 extra coloured lenses

Bloc themselves only sell the glasses as non-prescription but there are a few resellers out there that offer a prescription service and i found UK Eyewear that offer them at £125 with a single vision prescription !!! Which i thought seems a reasonable price if the quality is as good as it looks.

Short video of the lens changing:

View: https://vimeo.com/262025773

Few more pics:

Pretty sure i'll be ordering a pair from UK Eyewear in the coming days

vickster

Legendary Member
I only do direct glazed transitions lenses for cycling which is why they cost (that’s fine for me though, I don’t like those weird inserts)!

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
I only do direct glazed transitions lenses for cycling which is why they cost (that’s fine for me though, I don’t like those weird inserts)!

Yes that's a good point but i could find those in the much higher priced brands and thought +£250 was a lot to pay for specs that get used for only a few hours a week, i never pay more than £100 for the ones that sit on my face for 18hrs a day.....

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes that's a good point but i could find those in the much higher priced brands and thought +£250 was a lot to pay for specs that get used for only a few hours a week, i never pay more than £100 for the ones that sit on my face for 18hrs a day.....
I've used my Oakleys for hundreds of hours over the last few years so they are a good investment for me (after all what else should I spend my hard earned on :laugh:) but each to their own. I spend rather less on my normal specs but then I also have sunglasses and renew them more often as they are worn 16 hours a day I guess!

I've used my Oakleys for hundreds of hours over the last few years so they are a good investment for me (after all what else should I spend my hard earned on :laugh:) but each to their own. I spend rather less on my normal specs but then I also have sunglasses and renew them more often as they are worn 16 hours a day I guess!
I have Oakley Crosslink for reading, concentration stuff and also a pair of Oakley Crosslink Switch. Looked around for Oakley prescription glasses for cycling, do you buy yours local vickster or online. ?

vickster

Legendary Member
I have Oakley Crosslink for reading, concentration stuff and also a pair of Oakley Crosslink Switch. Looked around for Oakley prescription glasses for cycling, do you buy yours local vickster or online. ?
Online...extreme eyewear this time. I’m waiting on a new pair, got 10% off for BF. I was going to buy in summer but ended having 3 months off bike so didn’t bother.
Bought from Rxsport last time, but more expensive

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran

Are the direct glazed a lot better do you think ? I must admit that cleaning the insert type is a pain and there's little clearance from my eyes to the inserts and hence as my eyes often weep in the cold the inserts can get tears on them, i assume more than direct glazed would do as they would be further away.

I'll blame you entirely if i end up spending a fortune on branded cycling specs:laugh:

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
Good point, still tempted by the Bloc Titan's though:cycle:

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
I finally ordered these a week or so ago, in theory they should arrive this week. Went for the Bloc Titan X631 in white with the 4 lens set, also have the prescription inserts which as pointed out above won't be as nice as a regular glazed sunglass but i figure after using that style for a few years now they'll be tolerable for my tight wad:laugh:.

Will update once they are here and i've used them a bit.

mikeIow

Guru
I had some nice ones from Optilabs a few years back: prescription varifocal and a choice of clip on lens that could flip up: actually quite handy if you hit a dark area (& I used them driving and skiing....).
Got some frameless ‘reactive’ ones from GlassesDirect more recently....not as cool looking but effective enough...

Top Bottom