Blocks & Cleaner (rims)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
I have been getting some metal debris embedded into my brake blocks from the rim, I know this can be normal I can’t see any obvious damage to the brake track and I have run my finger over it and some cotton wool and nothing snags.

The brakes I was using are the Shimano block cartridges for 105 to Dura-Ace, I have ordered some Kool Stop for the 105 but the black compound, the Salmon ones said “most aggressive” so I thought that could make the issue worse?

Also I wanted to de-tox the rims! So spa day what’s the best advice for cleaners? I have seen people recommend certain types but wondered if someone had a specific brand/type they could recommend? The brake track isn’t anodised but the other part of the wheel is so I’m mindful of wrecking the anodised finish.

And before someone says get discs, not on this bike, maybe the next one! Haha

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just give the rims a good clean (soap and water) - if you've got very dirty brake tracks, car alloy wheel cleaner is good - don't leave on too long. Only other thing is to check for sharp protrusions on the rim and wet and dry then off carefully. That's it.

On-going it's about keeping the rims clean on a regular basis. Nothing special TBH.

I use standard Clarks 'Shimano compatible' pads on my road bikes.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
Only other thing is to check for sharp protrusions on the rim and wet and dry then off carefully. That's it.
On-going it's about keeping the rims clean on a regular basis. Nothing special TBH.

Thanks Fossy I will give them a good clean and use an old toothbrush to really aggravate the crud.

I tried running my finger along the brake track in both directions and used some cotton wool but nothing snagged.

I will take a look at the Clarks as well thanks.

Shimano block cartridges
I do think these are quite destructive. Not awful, but Kool-stop are far far better. My front rims now last almost forever on my bikes (and I barely touch my rear brake most of the time). Kool-stop dual-compound or salmon both work; when they say "aggresive" they mean the blocks grip a bit better. You won't find they chew up your rims :smile:

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
I do think these are quite destructive. Not awful, but Kool-stop are far far better. My front rims now last almost forever on my bikes (and I barely touch my rear brake most of the time). Kool-stop dual-compound or salmon both work; when they say "aggresive" they mean the blocks grip a bit better. You won't find they chew up your rims :smile:

AHH thanks I couldn't decide how the aggressive was termed as in braking or abrasive.

Should I stick with the black compound or see if I can change to salmon?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Also recommend Kool Stop.
I use Salmon on the front and black on the rear, reason being if I grab a big handful of brakes I'm less likely to lock the rear (well it works for me). In any case you want the best braking on the front and Salmon are good wet or dry and the pad wears rather than the rim.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
I haven't extensively tested all the compounds, sorry! Given that binary choice, i'd go Salmon (or ideally, the "Dual")

OK thanks I thought I would ask in case. I will see if I can change the order to the salmon or dual.

Thanks again

Just clean the rims regularly - i use a yoghurt pot with some diluted washing up liquid and an old tooth brush.
Plus some sort of cleaning wipe if particularly mucky followed by more washing up liquid.
Wipe after each application with a bit of paper - bog roll ideal.
Plus check pads for debris and clean regularly.
Maybe I'm sad but find it quite therapeutic - particularly if I can schedule it with johnny walker on the radio on sunday.
Must admit I have always been doubtful about supposedly wondrous pads that stop quickly and never manage to get bits in them.
I use very cheap pads.
Only pads I avoid are ones that seem too aggressive.
Have no ambition at all to go to discs - don't feel I need them - I stop just fine - no horrific squeeling, just simple stopping.

re the post upthread i wouldn't dream of using wire wool - maybe I'm a meany but i like to maintain my rims, not wear them when I'm not braking- wire wool brake pads anyone?

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

Just clean the rims regularly - i use a yoghurt pot with some diluted washing up liquid and an old tooth brush.
Plus some sort of cleaning wipe if particularly mucky followed by more washing up liquid.
Maybe I'm sad but find it quite therapeutic - particularly if I can schedule it with johnny walker on the radio on sunday.
Must admit I have always been doubtful about supposedly wondrous pads that stop quickly and never manage to get bits in them.
I use very cheap pads.
Have no ambition at all to go to discs - don't feel I need them - I stop just fine - no horrific squeeling, just simple stopping.

re the post upthread i wouldn't dream of using wire wool - maybe I'm a meany but i like to maintain my rims, not wear them when I'm not braking- wire wool brake pads anyone?
Buy some decent pads and you'll never have to waste your life on rim cleaning therapy....

Buy some decent pads and you'll never have to waste your life on rim cleaning therapy....
you know brake pads that mean you never have to clean rims?
what magic/spookery/religion is this?
you'll be telling me next that you have a bike that halts rain.

Seem to recall my pads usually cost around £1 a pair. work fine. the work of satan.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I use very cheap pads.

yep I'd not use wire woolbut as above a green scourer.

Fab Foodie

you know brake pads that mean you never have to clean rims? YES
what magic/spookery/religion is this? KOOL STOP SALMON
you'll be telling me next that you have a bike that halts rain. SEVERAL

Seem to recall my pads usually cost around £1 a pair. work fine. the work of satan.
See above :-)

Top Bottom