Blood donation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Could you expand on that please, it makes it sound as if we're a dirty country that's rife with disease?

Mad cow, probably. I couldn't donate in the UK during that time period, due to having lived for extended periods in places that were then, officially, classified as malarial. That classification was removed but by then I was living outside the UK again, and couldn't donate because I'd spent longer than 6 months living in the UK during that time period ... then I came back to the UK but fell foul of the malarial area thing again (a different malarial area) then when that exclusion timed out, I was considered too old to restart ... not having been a regular donor in the previous however-many years.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
If I manage to give twice more in the next 18 months it will be 40 pints in 40 years. The first time was the day after I watched To the Devil a Daughter. In the film a woman was drained of all her blood for a Satanic rite. There was also a short nude scene by Natajsha Kinski, but I did not tell the nurse about that.

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
I managed 57 donations, but after I was fitted with a pacemaker back in October I was told that I could no longer donate blood.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Well if you're still alive after all this time..... 😂

Unless you can carry it for years maybe?
Yes, as I recall, the prions are never excreted so every exposure to dodgy beef had a cumulative effect, and there were suggestions that symptoms of CJD could emerge years or decades after initial exposure.
I remember being quite bothered by that, particularly as I'd gone out for a 32 oz steak the night before the story hit the newspapers!

stephec

Legendary Member
Yes, as I recall, the prions are never excreted so every exposure to dodgy beef had a cumulative effect, and there were suggestions that symptoms of CJD could emerge years or decades after initial exposure.
I remember being quite bothered by that, particularly as I'd gone out for a 32 oz steak the night before the story hit the newspapers!

Well that's certainly mooooooozzzzz to me.

I'll get my coat. 😂

Could be worse - you could have force fed your kids a burger for a photo shoot!

From the early 70s onward, I've never been able to give blood in this country - or several others. I lived in, and/or spent considerable periods of time in, areas considered malarial, so the Brits didn't want it. Then in the 80s & 90s mad cow prevailed and despite my vegetarian status, my blood wasn't wanted in Germany, Kiwiland, Oz or New Caledonia. Then I came back to the UK and I'd not only been in supposedly-malarial areas again, but had also had surgery in a '3rd world' country, so my blood was yet again unwanted in the UK. By the time I was considered 'safe' again, I was too old!

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Platelets & Plasma today, I’ve been promoted.

IMG_4736.jpeg

Top Bottom