Blood donation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I only have O+ blood, but also have a subtype "Ro" which is apparently extremely in demand for people with sickle cell anaemia. If I ever leave it more than a fortnight after giving blood without arranging my next donation, I already get texts, emails, letters and phone calls all reminding me to book my next session. They have just upped the game. I've just received a letter bearing loads of red ink, informing me of the Ro Priority Helpline, which I am to use if ever there appears to be no availability online.

I'm getting somewhere close to my 80th donation now, and starting to wish more younger people would step forward and start donating. I guess modern lifestyles and morals, together with the popularity of tattoos and piercings are drying up the potential donor pool, as the majority of other donors I meet at donor sessions seem to be over the age of 50. What are they going to do when donors of my generation start to develop illnesses that prevent them from donating?

US seem to be selective with their blood donation criteria. No problem for selling your blood or for contaminated blood/ blood products being sold around the world out of America. I bet the UK NBS is regretting buying the US blood donation/ products company.

I wonder if your testing and quality regime is good enough these distinctions won't be needed. Still the US seems to be ok at getting blood donations I think. A commercial opportunity for them I guess.

From reading donation discussions on other forums it seems the UK NBS is patchu across the UK. Some centres work well, others have issues leading to failed donations like where I went.

BTW blood groups is complex, there's more than letter and plus/ minus symbol. Two o neg donors could have different demands due to other factors.

Mind you I'm o positive which they tell me is 83% of the UK can take it.

vickster

Legendary Member
I passed the questions/test. I've sent my details to them.:okay:

Haven’t you had cancer? If so, you can’t donate in the UK even if fully recovered.

Cancer : Malignancy​

We are very sorry but sadly you are not able to donate blood.
This is either for the safety of yourself in giving blood or for the safety of patients that receive your blood.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I was donating plasma during the pandemic because they wanted my Covid antibodies, which at the time were very high.
Plasma donation takes longer than blood donation (and hurts more) as they remove about 3 pints over 45 minutes, extract the plasma and give you back 2 pints the minus the plasma. (Not all at the same time) They also have minimum vein size and body weight criteria due to the size of the needle and the amount of fluid they take which means not everyone can do it.

I’m back to just giving blood now. Next donation is July.

CharlesF

Guru
This is an interesting thread.

I started my blood donor journey way back during basic training when we were all "volunteered" to donate. I realised it was an easy way give back to the community.

When we moved to Cape Town, my blood was identified as having "Known Cells" and I would attend on a Sunday morning at Groote Schuur Hospital (the site of the first heart transplant and Dr Christiaan Barnard, maybe the only celebrity surgeon) and give blood for the heart transplants due on Monday. It was the days before data privacy and we were told the name of the patient we were helping.

I gave well over 120 units before the criteria changed and my medical history suddenly ruled me out. Since then, I have been the lucky recipient of blood transfusions and I'm due to receive 2 units tomorrow.

I was also a potential bone marrow donor, but never called, maybe a lucky escape.

Nowadays I am on the UK Biobank list, and they contact me take part in various studies. I was also part of a Cancer and Heart research for six months, so I do feel I'm still giving something back to the wider community - important for me.

Attachments

• Blood Donor Badges.jpg
    Blood Donor Badges.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 3

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Haven’t you had cancer? If so, you can’t donate in the UK even if fully recovered.

This is either for the safety of yourself in giving blood or for the safety of patients that receive your blood.

Yes, I have but didn't see that, though I was half expecting something like that when I started the questions. I thought that after going on for 15 years i'd be ok to donate blood, with them saying if you've had cancer/chemo/radiotherapy in the last 5 years then sorry, thanks but no thanks. Surely any chemotherapy stuff isn't in my system after all these years and as for my own safety it's only a pint of blood I'd be giving. Are they being unnecessarily cautious I wonder? 🤔

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, I have but didn't see that, though I was half expecting something like that when I started the questions. I thought that after going on for 15 years i'd be ok to donate blood, with them saying if you've had cancer/chemo/radiotherapy in the last 5 years then sorry, thanks but no thanks. Surely any chemotherapy stuff isn't in my system after all these years and as for my own safety it's only a pint of blood I'd be giving. Are they being unnecessarily cautious I wonder? 🤔

Their rules are aimed at safety of blood products but most importantly donor welfare. You’re also waiting for surgery which could well preclude you as well.

oldwheels

Legendary Member

I used to donate but after my kidney was removed because of a tumour I was refused tho' my GP at the time did not seem aware of this restriction.
The start was at my first distillery and the head office girl volunteered everybody and got a bus laid on to take everybody there and back. Nobody dared to refuse.^_^

Last edited:
Top Bottom