Blood Pressure Monitors

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Wife has been advised that she needs to take her blood pressure 3 times a day & keep a record, she used to have a Lloyds Pharmacy one but she believes it was telling her stories & won't use it now. So we need to replace it, has anybody got recommendations, tried to Google but they all seem to be pushing the that pays them the most & links to their websites.

midlife

Guru
At work we have a few small Omron monitors kicking about as well as the very big expensive ones on wheels...

kynikos

Veteran
I have an Omron, bought on the basis that I often see them in medical settings and good reviews. It's been faultless.
Recommendation is that you record an average of two readings so that would be six tests a day.
My regret is that I didn't spend a bit more and get one with WiFi/ bluetooth which will load the readings up to the cloud - it would save a lot of time recording the results in a spreadsheet for monitoring.

If I were replacing it (it stubbornly refuses to break/stop working) I'd go for a Withings as I have some more equipment from them and all data recorded is collated and available via an app. You can see trends, set targets and get reports and advice. But it's not the cheapest option by a long chalk.

All depends on how long she'll need to keep recording (= more reason to spend a bit more) and budget.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I’ve got the Omron M7 Intelli, which I’ve had for about four years or so. Cost me about £60 from ama.zon. It’s simple to use, batteries last for ages and as well as bluetoothing all my readings to my phone, it saves them to the Omron Cloud too, which was handy when my phone died in May and I had to replace it.

I bought that one because it was the same one my GP uses in her surgery.

At the beginning I tested every day and then, when it came back to normal levels, I resorted to testing once a week.

I saw in either Lidl or Aldi a few weeks ago they had my Omron look-alike for £24.99. Could be worth a punt.

alicat

Legendary Member
My GP surgery has one in reception. If you want to persuade your wife to keep the one she has, maybe she could take hers to the surgery and compare a reading taken from hers with one from the machine reception.

Or your surgery might lend you a machine although there could be a wait...

PK99

Legendary Member
I've got a Braun 7200, excellent piece of kit.

Collates and reports data in multiple ways. Daily averages. 7, 14, 31 am, pm, 24hrs.
Easy linking to phone, pc, tablet

Numbers correlate well with GP measurements.

I heard of a guy who takes his BPM with him for a gp visit and checks it n against the gp or hospital BPM.

I was going to post that link Ming posted. I would only get one from that list. Omron is usually recommended but aiui boots own brand is made by Omron and is a rebadged one sold a lot cheaper. I also heard that not all Omron models are that good, really check against that link above.

One last point is that the safest use is to only use to monitor trends not finite measurements. If it's reading a little low the risk is yours if looking at finite measurements. Of a little high it's like less risk due to margin of safety in your favour. But then if you're only looking at a rise over time then whether reading falsely a little low or a little high it's the trend that's significant not the finite measurement.

presta

Guru
Mine's an Omron M2 Basic HEM-7120, I chose it because Which rated it as one of the most accurate, and one of the cheapest.
1654729967591.png

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've had an Omron for about ten years. It cost about £50 back then and I think it's an M something (it's not to hand right now). The cardiologists seem quite happy for me to self-report my readings rather than waste a nurse's time doing something identical. I suppose that's a glowing endorsement of Omron.

I have that one only boots own branded and cost me less. I researched it and found out omron made that as a boots branded one.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Mine's an Omron M2 Basic HEM-7120, I chose it because Which rated it as one of the most accurate, and one of the cheapest.
View attachment 648193

Thats the one we have.
My partner is suffering from long covid so at the moment is taking readings twice a day. The readings are accurate compared to the readings taken at the docs. So recommended.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Thank you all, I think we'll order the M2 later today, it will do what we need it to do, ideally it would be a wearable one so monitors 24/7 but I know she wouldn't wear one of those, if only for 7 days a month.

Top Bottom