Blood pressure tablets and cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Damn! Why am I cursed with stupidly healthy blood pressure, low cholesterol and supra-normal lung capacity when I could otherwise be getting 'free' performance enhancing drugs on the NHS.......

Try pickled beetroot. The nitric oxide in it also dilates the blood vessels and lowers blood pressure. Only effective for a few hours.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Just had my five-year check and my BP is pretty high, 158/100, now measuring at home and that is, so far, the low end.
So I reckon I'll be on the BP tablets. Does anyone know how this may effect my cycling? I'm hoping they make me faster ^_^
Also might there be any brands to be avoided or preferred?
Cheers

Don't know about making you faster... but...

When I was diagnosed with high blood pressure (after a heart attack, at age 49), I took GP's advice and instigated various "lifestyle changes", these included improved diet, more exercise (including taking up cycling). This action reduced my weight and reduced BP.

I did eventually need to accept the need for BP medication. (Atenenol and Candesarton).

At age 73, almost 74, I am still here and still cycling.

Good luck ;)

oldwheels

Legendary Member
There's often a natural difference between the two arms, regardless of the machine used. Which is why, when taking your own BP, it's best to be very, very consistent - same arm, same place on the arm, same routine, same body position - so you are comparing like with like.
I know somebody like that with different pressure on each arm.

A Nutter

Gary Kenny - a cycling quizmaster
Forgot to follow up on this, sorry.
For my extremely high blood pressure (readings of over 200/120 I'm on

Candesartan 32mg x 1 a day
Dilzem 180mg x 1 a day (beta blocker)
Eplerenone 50mg x 1 a day (water tablet)

I'm also on 150mg sertraline a day.

OP
OP
JBGooner

JBGooner

Über Member
After 7 days testing I average 157/102, so I think tablets for sure.
Because weather and events I got no cycling in and I wonder if the figure would be improved with more :bicycle:
Looking ahead we have fine weather (more cycling, yea) this coming week so I think I'll keep testing just as an experiment.

OP
OP
JBGooner

JBGooner

Über Member
Forgot to follow up on this, sorry.
For my extremely high blood pressure (readings of over 200/120 I'm on

Candesartan 32mg x 1 a day
Dilzem 180mg x 1 a day (beta blocker)
Eplerenone 50mg x 1 a day (water tablet)

I'm also on 150mg sertraline a day.

Great that you haven't noticed a difference 👍

I wonder if some cyclists and runners are put off taking tablets in the fear that it will spoil their performances.

After 7 days testing I average 157/102, so I think tablets for sure.
Because weather and events I got no cycling in and I wonder if the figure would be improved with more :bicycle:
Looking ahead we have fine weather (more cycling, yea) this coming week so I think I'll keep testing just as an experiment.

Was that average with a wearable, continuous-recording monitor? Or self-testing?
Your GP should be able to offer the use of a wearable monitor - you might have to pay a returnable cash deposit, I did - which is attached to you, totally painless, and it monitors your BP every 15 - 30 minutes for 24 hours, while you go about your normal daily activities (except you can't swim or shower for that period). It gives by far the most reliable, accurate and useful picture of your BP and the changes associated with normal daily activities, and is a brilliant way to monitor 'progress' if/when treatment is deemed necessary.

yello

I was on a (portable) blood pressure machine over a weekend before I got my prescription, just to rule out white coat syndrome or any other temporary factors. After a couple of months of pfaffing, we found the right tablet/combo for me. I felt like a bit of a guinea pig at first but once the right pill was found, I was right as rain. Blood pressure down, no side effects, cycling as usual. Tbh, I dont notice I'm even taking anything.

OP
OP
JBGooner

JBGooner

Über Member
Was that average with a wearable, continuous-recording monitor? Or self-testing?
Your GP should be able to offer the use of a wearable monitor - you might have to pay a returnable cash deposit, I did - which is attached to you, totally painless, and it monitors your BP every 15 - 30 minutes for 24 hours, while you go about your normal daily activities (except you can't swim or shower for that period). It gives by far the most reliable, accurate and useful picture of your BP and the changes associated with normal daily activities, and is a brilliant way to monitor 'progress' if/when treatment is deemed necessary.

Self-testing twice a day. Seems strange but whenever I go to do a BP test I sort of find myself 'tensing up', even feeling a tingling in my toes. I wonder if this is the white coat syndrome. Perhaps I should go for the wearable monitor (presumably wireless?), I'll discuss it with my GP.

bruce1530

Guru
I'm on the "NHS Flo" service at the moment, with Florence, the Virtual Nurse.
Home testing machine, and the nice lady sends me a txt every now and again saying "do a test and send me the result".
Results end up with the GP.
If you don't send a reply, then 2 hours later, the "nice lady" becomes "slightly annoyed nice lady". I don't think I've been brave enough to wait for the 4 hour warning...

Top Bottom