Blood pressure tablets and cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Self-testing twice a day. Seems strange but whenever I go to do a BP test I sort of find myself 'tensing up', even feeling a tingling in my toes. I wonder if this is the white coat syndrome. Perhaps I should go for the wearable monitor (presumably wireless?), I'll discuss it with my GP.

Definitely sound like you would benefit from a wearable monitor and seeing the results of that.

The one I was loaned was a fairly old-school version - this was a couple of years ago - which had the pump and the recording unit on a belt around the waist, the tubing going up through your clothes and down your sleeve to the cuff which was taped in place round the upper arm. Now I am a very small person so it was all quite bulky on me, but even so was not uncomfortable, and I only woke up once during the night (by trying to turn over in my sleep and lying on a lumpy bit of tubing). It really wasn't the least bit intrusive or bothersome during the day - after having it fitted, I went to a physio appointment, then to my allotment for an hour or so, and in the evening I went to choir practice and no-one(except me!) even noticed it when it started to pump up in the middle of a pianissimo section …
My BP was routinely more than 170/95 in the GP surgery but she and I knew perfectly well that I had severe white coat syndrome, which had started to develop just after I retired. 24-hour monitoring was used to confirm what we all knew - that it was a very healthy - especially for my age! - 125/70 or thereabouts. To have this evidence of, basically, 'normal' BP was important as I was in the process of being referred widely to try to find a surgeon willing and able to operate on my eyes, which had pathological myopia, large complex cataracts, corneal damage and host of other risky factors. I didn't need another one!

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
What are termed 'lifestyle changes' (diet, weight, activity and so on) can be just as, or even more, important than popping pills regardless of type or brand. Some people who need to take pills initially are able to undertake 'lifestyle changes' to an extent which enables them to change, reduce or even stop their medication. That's not possible for everyone - it depends on the root cause/s of your raised blood pressure, and the root cause of your raised blood pressure will dictate which types of pills you may, or may not, be prescribed. People's reactions to different ones vary too, so there's no saying by anyone here which one/s may be 'best', still less which might be most suitable for you.
KnittyNorah makes good points. My mom & dad AND sister all had high BP. Mine was hitting high numbers by the time I was 25, and my doc put me on BP meds at that time. I've taken them ever since, different ones, but still takin' 'em (I'm 64 now, taking Lisinopril for BP control). After a while I quite drinking, exercised more, and became a vegetarian. None of these things lowered my BP one bit. Oh well, I tried. But it's been under control since I started taking meds, and all is well now. I can't even tell I'm taking them. With mine, I try to ride 10 - 20 miles a day, most days a week. My doc says she's not worried. One thing I have noticed as KnittyNorah eludes to, is I can pump my heart out, and medical devices will still show my BP low even though I feel it pumpin' outta my chest! Oh well, I just slow down a bit when my breathing starts getting heavy. If I wind up with a heart attack some day because of something related to this, I will at least have had a wonderful life with lots of bike riding, kayaking, sailing, etc. Riding my bike(s) has gotten me through the pandemic with my sanity! (Most of it at least). It appears very few people don't EVER get off of BP meds once we start, especially if the cause is hereditary. So it goes. Same with cholesterol meds. I take them both. My dad had had (and survived) two heart attacks by the time he was 44, so I already count myself lucky (I was hoping to make 50.). My sis had her first/final heart attack at 55 and that was the end. So at 64, I'm happy for how my plumbing has turned out so far. :laugh:

PK99

Legendary Member
I'm on BP tablets, now I struggle to get my pulse above 130 bpm even on the turbo, other than that I'm fine.
I'm on Bisoprolol to lower BP and Nicorandil for opening up blood vessels.
My BP is now around 124/63 :smile:

There are a whole host of different BP meds with different mechanisms

Bisoprolol is a Beta blocker - specifically aimed at lowering heart rate. I was on it a few years ago when a pleural effusion messed with my heart and I had a resting HR of >120bpm (even asleep overnight it never went below*). Bisoprolol brought it down, but as I was recovering HR even at full throttle on the gym exercise bike would not go over 110bpm - so I was weaned off the Beta blocker!

I've been taking ramipril (ACE inhibitor) for years and was recently put on a Calcium channel blocker as well, that hit me with oedema, rapid weight gain and fatigue, they are now trying Doxazosin, an alpha channel blocker.

So, there is no simple answer about BP meds and cycling!

* when cycling fit RHR age 60 had been 55bpm

Last edited:

snorri

Legendary Member
Friendly warning.
I was on a BP related drug at one time and got a surprise to discover in the magazine of a sports governing body that had I been taking part competitively and been tested at an event I could have found myself labelled 'drugs cheat'.
The doctor didn't mention that when prescribing:smile:.

I went to the doctors for another reason and he said while you are here i'll take your BP.First reading was above average so i did a second one which came back the same so he put me on tablets(Amlodipine 5mg).
That was fifteen years ago.Cannot say it's affected my life or cycling at all.whenever i go to my GP now for BP check it's always normal.

nagden

Über Member
I have been on a variety BP medication over the last 5 years. I think my problem with white coat syndrome does not help. My latest med is Irbesartan and I have gained 5 kilos in weight which despite all attempts does not dissappear. As for cycling I have carried on as normal. BP this morning at home 116/77 so something is working.

D

Deleted member 1258

There are a whole host of different BP meds with different mechanisms

Bisoprolol is a Beta blocker - specifically aimed at lowering heart rate. I was on it a few years ago when a pleural effusion messed with my heart and I had a resting HR of >120bpm (even asleep overnight it never went below*). Bisoprolol brought it down, but as I was recovering HR even at full throttle on the gym exercise bike would not go over 110bpm - so I was weaned off the Beta blocker!

I've been taking ramipril (ACE inhibitor) for years and was recently put on a Calcium channel blocker as well, that hit me with oedema, rapid weight gain and fatigue, they are now trying Doxazosin, an alpha channel blocker.

So, there is no simple answer about BP meds and cycling!

* when cycling fit RHR age 60 had been 55bpm

I'm on Bisoprolol, have been since my heart attack in 2016.

Friendly warning.
I was on a BP related drug at one time and got a surprise to discover in the magazine of a sports governing body that had I been taking part competitively and been tested at an event I could have found myself labelled 'drugs cheat'.
The doctor didn't mention that when prescribing:smile:.
Ah, but did you tell the prescribing dr that you might be taking part in competitive sport with drug testing protocols? :unsure:

pawl

Legendary Member
I'm on Bisoprolol, have been since my heart attack in 2016.

I’m on bisoprolal as well Put on it after my Aortic valve replacement eight years ago On discharge the only restriction was no road cycling and few other restrictions that may impact on the Sternum healing aprox eight weeks

I used to enjoy the occasional pint or two but I couldn’t understand why I felt after a couple of pints I felt as though I’d had six.Checked the medication leaflet and it does mention some where in th small print that the medication can in some people make you feel drowsy.
I reckon over aprox seven years I’ve probably had three glasses of wine and one of slow gin Not a problem as I never drank a lot

As regards heart rate pre op my max heart rate while cycling hard at its highest was 160 Now it’s average on a ride is 114 Max I’ve seen is 128
Bit of a slow coach these days average speeds vary between 12.5 MPH13.6 Perfectly happy with that:bicycle::bicycle::bicycle:

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Damn! Why am I cursed with stupidly healthy blood pressure, low cholesterol and supra-normal lung capacity when I could otherwise be getting 'free' performance enhancing drugs on the NHS.......

On the other hand, you're bald, ugly, and live in Lancashire...don't you think you've been cursed enough?

😀😀😀😀

Amlopoden and ramipril here, have not noticed any difference to me cycling at all...the only thing I do get is a bit of a dry throat/tickly cough every now and then

To the person who said vast majority will not pay for their prescription - really? I would be surprised at that, I certainly pay for it and would imagine most that are working, with high BP, also pay for it (but do please let me know if there is a way I can get it free?). :-)

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm a pensioner and I don't pay for my prescriptions.

Amlopoden and ramipril here, have not noticed any difference to me cycling at all...the only thing I do get is a bit of a dry throat/tickly cough every now and then

To the person who said vast majority will not pay for their prescription - really? I would be surprised at that, I certainly pay for it and would imagine most that are working, with high BP, also pay for it (but do please let me know if there is a way I can get it free?). :-)
That was me who said that.
A majority - and IIRC a very large majority (I don't have the figures to hand but I'll look them up if you like) - of prescriptions in England are dispensed at no direct cost to the recipient. Some pharmacists consider it to be at the stage when the processing of payment, and the associated paperwork , is probably more expensive than issuing them all at no direct cost.
A very wide range of people are exempt from all prescription charges, including all under 16yos, 16-18yos in full time education, all over 60yos recipients of certain means-tested benefits, anyone with an HC2 certificate under the low-income scheme, and patients with a range of medical conditions (examples- epilepsy, diabetes, certain types of physical disability and more) who can be issued with a Medical Exemption Certificate which entitles the holder to free prescriptions, for all conditions, not merely the qualifying condition. Also, all hospital and walk-in centre prescriptions are free, as are all contraceptives and all prescriptions issued by an STD clinic.

BTW I hope everyone here who's in England knows about the 'season ticket' for prescriptions? Even if you have just one paid-for prescription a month, long term, it's well worth it . Here's how to get one.

PaulSB

Legendary Member

I don't know the current rules but I've been on a number of different meds since 2011 and never paid for a single one.

My recollection is that if one needs regular long-term medication the prescription is free. I think I had to apply for this. I have epilepsy and this is definitely a condition which requires long-term treatment.

Try this link

https://services.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/check-for-help-paying-nhs-costs/start

Top Bottom