Bloodwise Wirral Bikeathon, Sunday 11th June 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the stupid one

Über Member
This sponsored ride for Bloodwise, the blood cancer charity, has been going for years. This will be my first one, though I was in the ukulele band that performed there last year during an almighty downpour. Twenty-eight miles in two halves, I've had a couple of practice runs over much of the route and I'm really looking forward to it. Anybody else going?

Local Olympian and handsome devil Chris Boardman will be there. Shall I ask him to sign my helmet?

OP
OP
the stupid one

the stupid one

Über Member
Well I now have the medal to go with the t-shirt, and I can disclose that Mr Boardman likes Hula-Hoops with a Pringles chaser.

A bright and breezy day with a couple of sizzling showers as I was getting close to the finish, and with the ride to and from the start I even chalked up a metric half-century. About 700 metres of park trail had turned into a cyclocross mudslide after recent rain, demanding heroic efforts from the roadies with razor-thin slicks, and another short section of bridleway had a cunning tree root about six inches high hiding at its exit, which probably caused the puncture that somebody was dealing with a little bit after, but otherwise it was a trouble-free route, took about three hours with three short breaks.

Most importantly, about £44000 raised for the Bloodwise charity. Well played, everybody.

EDIT: The muddy track through the park was more like 1350 metres. Good old Google Earth. Felt longer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom