Bloody Employers !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Mind you, I did have a chap in my team who'd always break a bone at the very least every time he had a week's cycling holiday. He finally calmed down a bit after the two week coma incident. Extremely good at his job, a great guy, and still a good friend, but maybe the elevator didn't go all the way to the top when it came to risk assessment.

edit: I might add that I'm not in any way insinuating that Mrs Ozboz is isn't perfectly sensible, unlike the above chap who was considerable less sensible than Frank Spenser

Last edited:
OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
Mind you, I did have a chap in my team who'd always break a bone at the very least every time he had a week's cycling holiday. He finally calmed down a bit after the two week coma incident. Extremely good at his job, a great guy, and still a good friend, but maybe the elevator didn't go all the way to the top when it came to risk assessment.

edit: I might add that I'm not in any way insinuating that Mrs Ozboz is isn't perfectly sensible, unlike the above chap who was considerable less sensible than Frank Spenser

Her fore names are Wendy Jane , I do sometimes think Calamity Jane would fit perfectly !! ;)

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Forgot to add: every time there is a big sporting event on, like the Commonwealth games was back in 2014, the first thing they do is to ban bikes for security reasons.
They used to pull that crap at Glasgow Central station, and that was back in the days when you could drive a car in and park adjacent to the platforms.
It was bollocks then and is bollocks now.

whenever a new manager at work has me 'reconsider your mode of transport' with regards me commuting by motorbike the occasion comes to borrow a car for a week or two.

I arrive late and leave early as traffic causes me to be in late and I can not set off earlier due to dropping daughter at school, I also then have to leave earlier due to wife's after hours work commitments and needing to be back home in time.

and the matter is dropped.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
whenever a new manager at work has me 'reconsider your mode of transport' with regards me commuting by motorbike the occasion comes to borrow a car for a week or two.

I arrive late and leave early as traffic causes me to be in late and I can not set off earlier due to dropping daughter at school, I also then have to leave earlier due to wife's after hours work commitments and needing to be back home in time.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy::becool:

screenman

Legendary Member
I was at a small garage/bodyshop today and the owner employs 3 staff, one is off long term sick, one on holiday and the other off with a cold. My mate who owns the place is starting at 4am and working through to 10pm 7 days a week just trying to keep customers happy.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
I was at a small garage/bodyshop today and the owner employs 3 staff, one is off long term sick, one on holiday and the other off with a cold. My mate who owns the place is starting at 4am and working through to 10pm 7 days a week just trying to keep customers happy.

Been there done that , employees can be a nightmare , but.....
I never criticised or questioned anything away from the job , expectations , turn up on time , don’t bludge, and call it what you want I would not employ smokers on that job ,

screenman

Legendary Member
Been there done that , employees can be a nightmare , but.....
I never criticised or questioned anything away from the job , expectations , turn up on time , don’t bludge, and call it what you want I would not employ smokers on that job ,

I decided 30 years ago never to employ anyone again, the previous 10 years when I did so we're not pleasant.

Slick

Guru
Him/Her and every other small business owner I know.

I did it for years, thankfully no more. Really glad I did it, but thankful I don't any more.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I found being an employer pretty stressful, constantly worrying that working conditions were good, they were getting proper breaks, no chance of RSI etc. We paid well above minimum wage and quite often went short ourselves to cover the payroll. Then there were the regular kicks in the nuts when people you've invested a lot of time, money and emotional energy into let you down. Won't do it again.

Why would any manager, new or old, even give a thought to your mode of transport? How odd...

classic33

Leg End Member
Why would any manager, new or old, even give a thought to your mode of transport? How odd...
I've had three that tried to stop me cycling. All on the basis that cycling to work was too dangerous. Pointed out that I wasn't being paid for travelling to work, the same as anyone else, got it stopped.

It was considered too slow by one of them, who said 30 miles was not doable on a bike.

Top Bottom