Bloody hill.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steampig

Ok im not the lightest at 15 stone and im far from a mega fit cyclist but living where i do (not being able to cycle more than a mile in any direction without having to climb a hill) i thought i best try get some practice with these hills.
i do a few different routes but ive done this one route 4 times in the last month and every time i get to this one hill just over a mile long it totally breaks me.
I decided to log todays ride to see where i am on it and how it is.
Miles 28 an 29 take me over 20 minutes!! i think id of been faster getting off and walking it
Anyone got any tips on hill climbing?!?

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/

buggi

Bird Saviour
sit down, don't stand up. Easiest gear, take your time, don't look at the summit and just keep pushing. Unfortunately you have to keep doing them to build your fitness to be able to do them. Vicious circle.

OP
OP
Steampig

Steampig

sorry link not worked.
as i say ive done this hill 4 times now and it doesnt seem to be getting any better? the rest of my riding seems to be getting better just not this bloody hill?

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    70.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 2.png
    2.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 3.png
    3.png
    40.7 KB · Views: 32

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
[QUOTE 2752209, member: 30090"]Yeah I know, someone asking for cycling advice on a cycling forum - whatever next?[/quote]

This question comes up several times per week, each thread started gets filled with the same recycled advice that people have read in magazines. Nothing new comes to light, nothing interesting gets said (well occasionally someone will say something useful, but it usually gets ignored because it bucks the trend of replies rehashed from magazine spiels).

There is a search function which is useful and quite honestly in this case, it is not even needed, if you open up the training section, which is the section where this sort of thread belongs, there are several threads on this very topic spread throughout the 1st 2 pages!

as i say ive done this hill 4 times now and it doesnt seem to be getting any better? the rest of my riding seems to be getting better just not this bloody hill?

Hill climbing requires you to put in higher effort for less speed. Unless you have specifically trained at these higher intensities, then there's no reason to expect any improvement. Riding up it four times in total is not enough to see any improvement anyway. Ride up it four times a day for the next four weeks and you will probably start to see improvements.

OP
OP
Steampig

Steampig

This question comes up several times per week, each thread started gets filled with the same recycled advice that people have read in magazines. Nothing new comes to light, nothing interesting gets said (well occasionally someone will say something useful, but it usually gets ignored because it bucks the trend of replies rehashed from magazine spiels).

There is a search function which is useful and quite honestly in this case, it is not even needed, if you open up the training section, which is the section where this sort of thread belongs, there are several threads on this very topic spread throughout the 1st 2 pages!

No problem Rob3rt, thanks anyway.

sheffgirl

sorry link not worked.
I still have issues with hills, I have improved slightly but not that much. I think my problem is I put too much effort in too quickly and then get worn out too soon. I end up having to stop because my heart is hammering and my legs are jelly :sad: I have tried recently to slow down and pace myself more, which I think has helped.
I've given up on the steep hill for the winter because it is too dark, but I managed to get further up the gentler (but longer) slope today than yesterday :smile:

colly

Re member eR

Just an off the wall idea but...................you could always simply not click on it.

screenman

Legendary Member
Lose weight! do not look at the summit, lose weight, nice low gear and spin, lose weight, ride the bike more, lose weight. I think you might have the idea by now.

Going from unfit to fit is not an easy path and very few manage it, but if you are one that can then you will look back on that hill one day and think, what hill.

Practice, practice and practice more. You will get there eventually.

Next time out, make a mental note of where you come off because the pedals won't turn any longer. The time after that, make sure you o at least one pedal stroke further. And so on. And then one day, as screenman says, you will wonder what all the fuss was about.

Much of hills is mental, not physical.

Top Bottom