Bloody Mobility Scooters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
My brother uses one of the large ones to make his twice daily trip to the off-licence, he's an absolute menace on the thing. I think he's been cautioned a few times about driving it while under the influence.

The woman that delivers the free papers by us also uses one, funny as she gets a fair sprint on to get to the front of the queue at the post office.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
upsidedown said:
My brother uses one of the large ones to make his twice daily trip to the off-licence, he's an absolute menace on the thing. I think he's been cautioned a few times about driving it while under the influence.

Reminds me of the country singer George Jones who when his missus confiscated the car keys drove his ride on mower 10 odd miles to get some more booze in - that's dedication for you.

He's dry now! :hello:

Plax

Guru
I had an old fella on one, ambling along a country back road. He had a mirror on it, so could see perfectly well behind him. As soon as he saw me cycling up behind him he drove it in the middle of the road. I just slowed down and said a cheery "passing on your left" and went past him before he decided he was going to erratically swerve to the left and crush me against a hedge. I did worry about him afterwards as I've seen the panic on car drivers faces when they come round the bend too fast and come face to face with me enough times. I can squeeze into the hedge for them to pass but lord knows how they's deal with a mobility scooter going a lot slower in the middle of a single track road, especially when they are much lower down than a cyclist.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Catrike UK said:
Round here about 50% of users are "disabled" by obesity and they are the problem ones, the genuinely disabled users are fine.

You know that for certain, do you? You may be correct, but are you sure they aren't 'obese' because they are less able to be mobile?

bauldbairn

User76 said:
My MIL is seriously thinking of getting one of these. Her car has dents on all 4 corners and her drivers door mirror is held on with tape. She thinks a mobility scooter would be safer:ohmy:

For who? :smile:

If she has no spacial awareness on the road - she won't be any better on the pavement with the pedestrians. :ohmy:

darkstar

bauldbairn said:
For who? :smile:

If she has no spacial awareness on the road - she won't be any better on the pavement with the pedestrians. :ohmy:
Think User76 thinks the same, judging by his smilie;)

Flying_Monkey said:
You know that for certain, do you? You may be correct, but are you sure they aren't 'obese' because they are less able to be mobile?

Yes I am sure.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
benidorm1.jpg

Classic..... scooters at dawn :becool:

I wonder if this is the time to admit that I went joyriding in my new ride in Sainsburys on Saturday, and terrorised the poor sods still confined to 2 feet?
It was wonderful! The wide open aisles, the lovely smooth floors, no nasty cambers to deal with....ahh wheelchair bliss!

I almost got the handbrake turns sussed too. :ohmy:

I'm gonna be quite sad when I have to give it back.:wahhey:

edit - mine is self powered, not electric..

Arch

Married to Night Train
When I worked at Iceland, we had a shoplifting old bloke who used one as a getaway car - he aimed straight for me one time....

He had glasses an inch thick, two hearing aids, and two sticks to walk, but once in the scooter he was off at top speed....

There are always bad apples, alas.

Thinking about it, I don't think I saw a single one in 2 weeks in France. Plenty of old folk walking about though. Of course it may mean that those less mobile are just housebound instead...

al78

Guru
bauldbairn said:
For who? :sad:

If she has no spacial awareness on the road - she won't be any better on the pavement with the pedestrians. :laugh:

But at least the destruction potential of the mobility scooter is much lower than the car.

Top Bottom