Bloody old driver.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I think you were very cool and polite under the circumstances! Well done.

Paul_L

Über Member
you sound like Dom Joly!

It does though raise the age old question about repeat driving tests.

I don't know who old she is but lets's assume she's 70.

It could be perfectly feasible she's not had any driver tuition for over 50 years! And that can't be right.

StuartG

slower but further
It could be perfectly feasible she's not had any driver tuition for over 50 years! And that can't be right.
Do the statistics show that those who have had no tuition for 6 months are more dangerous than for 50 years?
At least that is what insurance premiums would suggest ...

Paul_L

Über Member
Do the statistics show that those who have had no tuition for 6 months are more dangerous than for 50 years?

i don't know about statistics but to give an example. i work in the construction industry in the water sector and i have been on numerous training courses. Quite a lot (hygiene, sewer safety, construction site safety and more) you have to go on refresher courses every few years to bring you up to date, iron out bad practices and to assess whether you should still hold the certificates you do. I'm also a trained first aider which is updated every 3 years. Now all of these courses either keep me and my colleagues safe or even alive.

So why is it the case that our driving is not re-assessed - apart from motoring convictions - from the day we pass our test for the rest of our lives?

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine

taaa ddaaa

http://www.telegraph...-motorways.html

The recommendations follow a detailed analysis of seven years of police crash data by the institute, which showed that older drivers were safer than their younger counterparts on some 'local' roads, but at increased risk on motorways or where traffic was moving quickly.

Though this happened on a local road...so God help us :smile:

The women in the video seemed to have thought she overtook me safely (you can't really hear the conv. on the video). Even though I had banged on her car, she still didn't realise that she was too close.

The women in the video seemed to have thought she overtook me safely (you can't really hear the conv. on the video). Even though I had banged on her car, she still didn't realise that she was too close.

I don't think her age has anything to do with the close pass. I think it is just the general issue of some car drivers being completely oblivious to what space a cyclist needs. :sad:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
More importantly, if they have had no training in the "Last" 50 years. Roads, engines, capacities and speeds have all changred dramatically over the last 50 years (in fact over the last 30)

so, I guess a person with no training in the last 6 months will at least have been trained under modern circunmstances.

That said, Thomas, was she really "bloody old" she didnt look a day over 70 to me?

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
More importantly, if they have had no training in the "Last" 50 years. Roads, engines, capacities and speeds have all changred dramatically over the last 50 years (in fact over the last 30)

so, I guess a person with no training in the last 6 months will at least have been trained under modern circunmstances.

That said, Thomas, was she really "bloody old" she didnt look a day over 70 to me?

:tongue:

StuartG

slower but further
I've only had 'no tuition' for 44 years.

Passing the test meant you could not ride the clutch and had to contend with no or dodgy synchromesh. Oh and you had to wave your hands around outside the window and do emergency stops with drum brakes and retread cross-ply tyres with no seatbelts or airbags for protection. I take my daughter out practicing (I leave teaching to a professional) and she can't cope without power steering, ABS ...

The problem may be that modern cars are too easy to drive and feel safe in. Us oldtimers know danger far too well. That is those who can still remember
wink.gif

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
I've only had 'no tuition' for 44 years.

Passing the test meant you could not ride the clutch and had to contend with no or dodgy synchromesh. Oh and you had to wave your hands around outside the window and do emergency stops with drum brakes and retread cross-ply tyres with no seatbelts or airbags for protection. I take my daughter out practicing (I leave teaching to a professional) and she can't cope without power steering, ABS ...

The problem may be that modern cars are too easy to drive and feel safe in. Us oldtimers know danger far too well. That is those who can still remember
wink.gif

I think the problem is that she's a women :tongue:

Top Bottom