bloody RUST again !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JohnRedcoRn

bikes only about 2 - 3 months old from new. I've noticed rust in the allen bolt reccesses...funny thing is it only seems to be around the handlebar area.

I've read that you should give it a clean with water after a ride, put a drop of oil or lube in, scrub it out with steel wool and then dry ?

it troubles me that such new kit can rust so quickly. decent bike too (giant CRS);)

Mr Pig

I find that a drop of oil on the bolts eyc will stop them from rusting. And never put your bike in the shed when it's wet, dry it in the house first, if you can.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Mr Pig said:
And never put your bike in the shed when it's wet, dry it in the house first, if you can.

Yeah right, and face the wrath of mrs FFFF

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mate, any bike - it happens.... unless the lot are Ti or Stainless....and then you are into mega bucks....

Drop some grease into the prone bolt holes.......

My brake bolt nut's are rusting on my commuter, but now't I can do other than buying expensive stuff on the daily bike.. erm no.... it will get knicked....

litespeeder

Think I'll dab some grease on the missus before she rusts up as well..............

02GF74

Über Member
ArDee said:
The other thing to do is replace them with stainless fixings

No!!!

Some bolts such as the cap heads on a-head sets are 12.8 rating, much stronger than the stianless whcih at best will have about 8.8.

Replace them and you risk using your face as a tarmac plough.

Steel bolts that are not stressed e.g. bottle cage can be safely replaced.

Chances are that even 8.8 are up to the job but why take the risk?

OP
OP
JohnRedcoRn

JohnRedcoRn

so for cleaning off existing rust, is something like steel wool scourer going to do any harm or is it best just to use a cotton bud or something ?

and will a drop of wet lube in there do the trick or not ?

simoncc

Mr Pig said:
I find that a drop of oil on the bolts eyc will stop them from rusting. And never put your bike in the shed when it's wet, dry it in the house first, if you can.

Never put your bike in the shed. The shed is for the lawnmower and other stuff you are not that bothered about.

Keith Oates

Janner
Washing the bike down with Fresh Water, to remove the salts from sweating, after each ride will go a long way to slowing down the rusting process. A touch of grease in the allen screw heads will also help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom