Bloody Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I haven't used my road bike this year, today I have been getting it ready for the spring and have just found a feckin great gash on a newish (less than 500 miles) Conti GP4000s, it's still got the little knobbly bits on. I am thoroughly and abjectly pissed off. That's the second time that's happened.

Grrrrrrrrr.

I may be back for another rant in minute when I see how much they cost.

MikeW-71

Veteran
£25 each at Wiggle at the mo. It is properly annoying when that happens :sad:

young Ed

Veteran
I'm afraid I can beat that.
New GP 4 seasons went on Wednesday, two trips to work and back done. Washed the bike today to find un-rideable gash, tyres have done less than 34 miles!
i feel your pain!

try a pair of gator skins they are supposed to be good (no personal experience!)
Cheers Ed

young Ed

Veteran
I've run gator skins in the past, they cut up just as bad.
I'm blaming the cycle path! (and currently putting an order together on wiggle).
any idea exactly what/who is slashing your tyres? no one else seems to get same issues
Cheers Ed

Brandane

Legendary Member
I got a puncture (I don't believe in fairies!) today on one of my very low mileage gatorskins. Was on a cycle path in Glasgow with a fair bit of broken glass scattered around. I was cursing the selfish nobbers who break glass as I rolled to a stop. Took the tyre off and found .... a thorn!
Those gatorskins do seem very light and pliable for puncture resistant tyres. The road contact surface feels a bit thin too, compared to Marathon +, or Specialized armadillos. I'm not convinced, so far.

Last edited:

young Ed

Veteran
I got a puncture today on one of my very low mileage gatorskins. Was on a cycle path in Glasgow with a fair bit of broken glass scattered around. I was cursing the selfish nobbers who break glass as I rolled to a stop. Took the tyre off and found .... a thorn!
Those gatorskins do seem very light and pliable for puncture resistant tyres. The road contact surface feels a bit thin too, compared to Marathon +, or Specialized armadillos. I'm not convinced, so far.
will have a look at the marathon plus nest time i buy tyres as i hear many good things about then
currently running cheap tyres that don't give me any punctures over probably about 5 or 600 odd miles
Cheers Ed

Brandane

Legendary Member
will have a look at the marathon plus nest time i buy tyres as i hear many good things about then
currently running cheap tyres that don't give me any punctures over probably about 5 or 600 odd miles
Cheers Ed
The Marathon plus are good, but they are HEAVY!

Top Bottom