Bloody useless car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zacklaws

Guru
They are bloody useless, I needed to reverse into a gap between two cars this morning, and could I hell do it, did eventually second go, if I was on my bike, I could have picked it up and just put it there

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Given that I put £10 of fuel in on Weds, it's empty again. Only used it in the evening running kids to/from School performances and the local Theater performances - Don't think I've done more than 60 miles. It's on fumes now !

Night Train

Maker of Things
I fancy another Land Rover. Had quite few in my time but I can't justify something that uses three or four times my current fuel consumption unless it was really special.

A 2B forward control would be nice but I have also been looking at very sparten Series 1s too.

What Landrovers save in the cost of a repair they make up for in volume of repairs..

As for the OP, bung some Radweld in if you don't use it that often.

Night Train

Maker of Things
For the OP, it depends on where the leak is. If it is from a rubber hose then that can be a simple diy job. If not then maybe a second hand radiator from a breakers might be worth a chance.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I have only taken my car to work twice in the last two weeks and it feels great just to cycle by it in the morning. My wife came in yesterday and told me my car is leaking fluid, turns out to be a leaking radiator, i have to use the car next week for a course so i have to shell out to get the damn thing fixed even though i am very rarely using it.
And before anyone says just use the money i have been saving by not using it i have spent that on the bike. Bloody moneypit the car even when its just sitting there.

Put an beaten egg in the cooling system. Very good cheap repair unless rad has a large hole in it.

abo

Put an beaten egg in the cooling system. Very good cheap repair unless rad has a large hole in it.

Done that with a knackered old Transit van, worked well enough to get home IIRC. I also bodged a radiator cap using two Pepsi Max can bottoms, some lockwire and a bit of underlay. That lasted until the van died

OP
OP
Moby Jones

Moby Jones

Going to drop my car off at my local garage on Monday, I know the guys who run it so hopefully they can sort me out cheaply. I will stick my bike in the boot and use that to get to work

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

cloggsy

Boardmanist
My car needs a new clutch and various other things that go with the clutch. Will cost me a grand. Bastard!
angry.gif

Ouch! My car would be beyond economic repair if I got a repair bill for £1,000 :ohmy:

We test drove a Mitsubishi iMiev electric car yesterday... Now that was nice; quiet as a mouse!

Yes, I hear you there. Mine needs a new exhaust; it isn't leaking but the baffles have gone and its a bit loud. It just snuck through it's MOT as it is still within the noise and emissions regulations lol

The car only gets used now maybe twice a week, once to take my kids to my parents' on a Tuesday evening, and maybe one other odd trip somewhere, so I haven't bothered getting it replaced...

you can quieten it down a fair bit by stuffing brillo pads or wire wool up the exhaust - it's a trick used at track days to get performance tuned cars through the noise checks

Getting rid of the car and hiring if necessary works for me. Mind you, I don't know what car hire costs are where you are as in Kendal it's so cheap everyone I tell is spitting (£30 for 3 day weekend)

£80 for a few days in the midlands when I hired one a few years back

What Landrovers save in the cost of a repair they make up for in volume of repairs..

As for the OP, bung some Radweld in if you don't use it that often.

no don't - if you don't use the car much then the radweld will block the small water routes in the engine's water jacket, as it's not being kept moving round, stopping the cooling system working properly and leading to the car running hot

many people are of the opinion that if you use radweld to get home you should then drain, fix the leak and replace the coolant - some even say that the thin water routes in modern radiators mean you should replace the rad too!

same reason not to as above

Does that still work on systems with header tanks rather than the old cap on top of the radiator? I suspect you will just get a header tank full of poached egg.

you drop it in through the radiator cap, not the header tank - I've yet to come across a car without a radiator cap

Top Bottom