Bloody wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How the hell do you get a hub opened up if you've only got one spanner and also, why do giant do up their nuts and bolts do effing tight?!

Bb

You don't, you need two the last time I opened a hub.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
@mrj you need one spanner to hold the cone/hub whilst you use a 2nd to unscrew the locknut. YouTube is full of videos showing you how.
I just serviced some bearings this lunchtime, undoing the locknut first, then undoing the cone. I don't think you'd need to hold the cone while unscrewing unless the cone and locknut are corroded together and moving the locknut pulls the cone up along with it, risking damaging the thread. (and it's mjr not mrj)

OP
OP
B

bonsaibilly

Is the locknut the thing at each end of the axle, that is about 1.5 cm wide and has two flat sections on its circumference?

If so, I can't turn one without the one on the other side turning... I am venturing that they're not corroded on as the bike is only a couple of months old and has barely been ridden...

Thanks

bb

I just serviced some bearings this lunchtime, undoing the locknut first, then undoing the cone. I don't think you'd need to hold the cone while unscrewing unless the cone and locknut are corroded together and moving the locknut pulls the cone up along with it, risking damaging the thread. (and it's mjr not mrj)
You do on the wheels I've opened up. Sorry for for the mispell, replied on my tiny phone at lunch that for some reason can't quote, I hope you get it sorted.

Last edited:
Top Bottom