Bloomsbury central london

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Blue Hills
This same area from not long ago.

Looks like yesterday's death is close to where the police were fining cyclists for being in a bus lane!

http://andywaterman.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/death-on-holborn.html

Be careful out there - I regularly do a right turn across traffic on Kingsway - may walk in future.

toontra

Veteran

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I don't understand. As far as I'm aware it's perfectly legal to cycle on the contraflow bus lane west on Bloomsbury Way. I do it regularly and the lane is clearly marked for buses and cyclists. Am I missing something here?
I'm missing it too. Google street view has it clearly marked as you say.

And as the BBC's picture shows the marked off section of the road as being by the junction with Southampton Place, which is no entry/one way, the only way an HGV could have been there would have been as it was coming out of Southampton Place.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Yes, you are right.

Maybe the blog post referred to a discontinued mad rule on that bit of bus lane.

There was/is a similarly daft rule on a short bit of buslane on the Catford gyratory. Reason i am a bit vague on the current situation is becsuse i have never paid a blind bit of notice to it.

RÌP.

Be careful out there.

Cyclists were allowed in that lane only within the last year (can't remember exactly when). I think it was after another cyclist was killed nr Holborn tube station who were, at the time, using the correct oneway system to get around.

subaqua

What’s the point
Cyclists were allowed in that lane only within the last year (can't remember exactly when). I think it was after another cyclist was killed nr Holborn tube station who were, at the time, using the correct oneway system to get around.

takes you out of the Holborn gyratory. tfl argument was it wasn't suitable for cycles. will have a dig around for the news article

Luke Redpath

Wasn't there a helmet cammer on here, @veloevol I think, who got caught and fined for cycling down that stretch, or am I thinking of something else? I seem to remember the concern was that cyclists would cause impatient buses to overtake into oncoming traffic or some other rubbish excuse. Didn't they put cones up to stop this?

Wasn't there a helmet cammer on here, @veloevol I think, who got caught and fined for cycling down that stretch, or am I thinking of something else? I seem to remember the concern was that cyclists would cause impatient buses to overtake into oncoming traffic or some other rubbish excuse. Didn't they put cones up to stop this?
Some numpty did get fined and quite rightly so. He wasn't avoiding the one-way system (was coming up from Kingsway, not turning at Holborn) ignored a traffic sign and got upset when pulled over. The signs have since changed.

veloevol

Evo Lucas
Some numpty did get fined and quite rightly so. He wasn't avoiding the one-way system (was coming up from Kingsway, not turning at Holborn) ignored a traffic sign and got upset when pulled over. The signs have since changed.

Yes that was I, listen to me rage against the man in this angry angry video below.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Well the police were absolute models of politeness I must say (as were you) so top marks to them for that but still an appalling waste of their time.

Top Bottom