Blowing up a tyre that has been slimed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

UK gnome

When we bought a bike for my grandson I opted to have the wheel slimed as my recollection is that grandchildren always ask granddad to fix their puncture when the wheel is wet and muddy.

Anyway, I had reason to pump the tyre up due to lack of use over the winter and the bike having been left outside (having re-learnt how to break a chain, oil it, loosen it and refit) and it was really difficult.

Would this be the fault of the slime clogging the valve, or is it just that I forgot how hard it is to pump tires up.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It's hard to know the reason you've struggled but I doubt it's the slime. My understanding is slime will remain liquid for around two years. I don't believe it hardens in the way you suggest but simply dries out.

More likely in mind is the valve cores have simply become stuck. Mine occasionally do this and I check every time I ride - 4/5 times a week.

CXRAndy

Guru
Sealant does stick im the valve. Its usually easy to deal with. If air pressure doesn't break through the blockage, remove valve, use blunt rounded needle implement to stick in valve shaft, that will do it.

Must use blunt implement

What type of valve ??

If it's a schrader (car) type then you may not of had the pump fully on the valve.
If it's not fully on then not only are you working against the pressure of air in the tyre but you're also working against the strength of the valve spring.
You know it's fully on as they tend to leak a little air before you lock the pump in place.
That's the main reason I find it hard to pump my tyres up with that of valve.

I don't use presta valves so I'm not sure of their failure to inflate mode is.

Luck .......... :biggrin:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
The valve should be at 10 o'clock or 2 o'clock when pumping.
I interpret this as slightly loosened off. Is that correct. I unscrew my presets valves sufficiently to be able to push it in and release a little air. I then close the valve core and reopen to approximately 2-3 o'clock position.

I would have thought 10 o'clock was too far. Could you expand on this please.

screenman

Legendary Member
Nothing to do with that. I'm talking about turning the wheel so the valve is at 10 or 2 o'clock. In the top half of the wheel, but not the very top.

Why in that position, it is certainly a new one on me, always done at about 12 o'clock without a problem.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I have slime in my tyres and it isn't difficult at all to pump a tyre up. As others have said, maybe the slime dried out, or there was too much in it to start with.

Without being able to see, it's difficult to say for sure.

Bottom line if all else fails, buy a new inner tube.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Nothing to do with that. I'm talking about turning the wheel so the valve is at 10 or 2 o'clock. In the top half of the wheel, but not the very top.
Ah, daft me! Thanks. I always position my valves at 5 or 7 o'clock to provide as much stability as possible but with a track pump that's possibly not necessary.

Top Bottom