Blue badge thefts.....up by 400%

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Anything that can be stolen will be, so its not surprising really. An lady was sat in her car the other day here and someone smashed the passenger window of her car and grabbed her handbag. Also people wont leave charity bags out because they get stolen straight away.

Drago

Legendary Member
The only place we have had an issue finding a blue badge spot unsurprisingly is at NHS hospitals

Although the ones round here (NGH and MKGH) permit blue badge holders to park in any space FoC.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Although the ones round here (NGH and MKGH) permit blue badge holders to park in any space FoC.

Not in Warrington. Blue badge holders have to pay the full rate.
There are 'bays' for badge holders but, being a hospital, they are always full.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've had a blue badge since June 2022. I could've applied for one a year earlier, but didn't realise I qualified. A bloke who took up two parking spaces on purpose did me a favour after he kept 'annoyance parking' on purpose. One day I decided to look it up online and found that I was eligible for one. I did hear when I first got my badge that they are a target for thieves. I read on the local Facebook page the other week about someone going to not too far away Manchester for a Christmas shopping spree, then came back to find their car window smashed and their blue badge missing.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I believe that. My wife had one but it was clear that if eg we parked on a double yellow and I nipped into a shop that was illegal.......it had to be her that went into the shop.

I'm not too sure, but couldn't you say in such a situation that you the able bodied person nipped into the shop as the disabled person wasn't capable of doing this. 🤔 I do see relatives of blue badge holders use the badge to, for example, go shopping in the local Tesco, while the only one in the car. This is totally illegal and very very annoying to those like me who know they are taking the pee!!

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I imagine they nick what is in the car, the badge being an impulse extra.

Apparently not. There is 200 quid sitting on the dashboard.....easy pickings

Sharky

Guru
I'd like to know the actual numbers behind the 400%.

I can't believe that people would buy a blue badge with a strangers photo on one side. Unless they can change the photo somehow. Then if it is so easy to tamper with a blue badge, it must be possible to forge a complete replica and at £200 a time, must be cost effective and would avoid the risk of being caught breaking into a car.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I'd like to know the actual numbers behind the 400%.

I can't believe that people would buy a blue badge with a strangers photo on one side. Unless they can change the photo somehow. Then if it is so easy to tamper with a blue badge, it must be possible to forge a complete replica and at £200 a time, must be cost effective and would avoid the risk of being caught breaking into a car.

Easy.

Top Bottom