Blue badge thefts.....up by 400%

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Having just received my 1st blue badge I have been googling how best/legally to use it and these articles came up, warning about theft of same.
Apparently the thieves simply smash your window, nick the badge and quickly sell it for £200+.
As it is mandatory to clearly display it I suppose its, sadly, an open invitation.
I can buy a holder which allows me to lock it to the steering wheel......£38.00ish.
Apparently traffic wardens can do a quick check to see if the badge being displayed has been stolen/cancelled but they refuse as its not part of their job.
Who would have thought it.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sadly an indictment of the depths to which criminals, usually druggies I would think, are prepared to sink to.
I'd of thought you would be okay in a supermarket car park or most public places.
Many seem to have them on permanent display so best to keep it hidden unless in use.

vickster

Legendary Member
We only display my mum’s when actually parked in a disabled bay or on a yellow line, otherwise it’s in her handbag :smile:
Make sure you always display it with the correct side up…NOT the side with the photo and use the time disc. my mum got a parking ticket for showing the wrong side :angry:

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
We only display my mum’s when actually parked in a disabled bay or on a yellow line, otherwise it’s in her handbag :smile:
Make sure you always display it with the correct side up…NOT the side with the photo and use the time disc. my mum got a parking ticket for showing the wrong side :angry:

Apparentley the thieves patrol those bays. Just saw a photo of the smashed window.......apparently the thief road up on a motor bike, smash/grab and gone before anyone could get his reg.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
None of our family have had any any problems with my Mum's badge and she has had hers for around 10 years. Given the seemingly extensive use of CCTV, if the theft took place in a supermarket car park, there would hopefully be coverage of the incident.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Mine is kept attached to the sun shield which is swung down when in use but not too handy for anybody to pick it up. It is generally only used here or in Oban supermarkets so while one cannot be complacent it is generally safer than a city environment.
Mine is also used to buy concession ferry tickets but my local ferry office has a copy so the original does not generally leave the car.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Another not heard of this and doubt the £200 selling price as it would be easier to forge, of which there are plenty about
Not hard to get a replacement if did get nicked, though that many people have them (which is a good thing) now finding a bay or suitable parking place is not always that easy
Legal enforcement is not always easy and more likely to get done for displaying incorrectly than having the technology to check legitimacy. Car parks etc tend to be permissive and no legal enforcement

Drago

Legendary Member
Anyone tries to take Mrs D's ill go all Jack Reacher on them.

Sharky

Guru
We are close to the Dartford tunnel/bridge and they have APNR cameras to identify cars and to check that you have made the toll within the 24 hrs. But if you are driving a car provided by the Motobility scheme (tax exempt cars), they recognise this and the crossing is free.
Just having a blue badge still requires payment of the toll.

Some car parks allow blue badges to be registered and then car parking is free. The one we use a lot in Bromley has barriers and APNR cameras, but as we are registered, it is free for us. But always check the signs at car parks. Some have disabled bays, but still require you to get a ticket.

Drago

Legendary Member
We are close to the Dartford tunnel/bridge and they have APNR cameras to identify cars and to check that you have made the toll within the 24 hrs. But if you are driving a car provided by the Motobility scheme (tax exempt cars), they recognise this and the crossing is free.

Not just motability cars, but any car where the R/O receives higher rate mobility element of PIP who has then taken up their entitlement to change their vehicles taxation class to 'disabled', as has Mrs D.

vickster

Legendary Member
Just once in my life have I had a parking ticket. My cousin and I had gone down to Kew Gardens, and having driven round looking for somewhere to park for ages without finding anywhere, I decided to park on the yellow lines like everyone else just this once. When we came back there was a ticket on the screen, which amused my cousin no end, as she was a traffic warden at the time.

I came close through no fault of my own on another occasion. I drove into our multi-storey car park, parked the car, walked straight over to the ticket machine and bought a ticket, then when I turned round I saw a parking attendant writing out a penalty notice. The car park was deserted when I drove in, so he must have been hiding behind the roof pillar waiting to pounce in the 10-15 seconds it took to walk to the machine.

What’s this to do with blue badge parking? :scratch:

Reactions: C R

vickster

Legendary Member

Some car parks allow blue badges to be registered and then car parking is free. The one we use a lot in Bromley has barriers and APNR cameras, but as we are registered, it is free for us. But always check the signs at car parks. Some have disabled bays, but still require you to get a ticket.

Yep in Epsom, you have to pay to park in their car parks even with a blue badge at any time. Just parked on a yellow line when I took my mum to the cinema on Boxing Day

Top Bottom