Blue flashing tail light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LLB

I saw a guy commuting to work this morning on a MTB.

His front light was a regular one, but the tail light was a flashing blue LED one

WTF ??????;)

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
I sometimes use a small flashing blue light on if I use a rucksack. It's not the only or even main rear light though. I asked a BTP officer about the kosherness of it and he didn't envisage any problems with it.

OP
OP
L

LLB

It was a wide strip light with a blue light on it (like emergency service blue). No other reflector, and no red light either. It wasn't that bright, but the colour was wrong. He definitely wasn't plod.

Tynan

Veteran
followed someone last week with a white rear light, bloody irritating, all wrong

idiot too

Green Teeth

I can't remember how I heard about these, but I found out last winter that you could buy them from Argos. I bought one (for about £8) because I thought it might focus the minds of drivers.

On the first, or possibly second, outing it got wet, the switch failed and I took it back to Argos for a refund. That was the end of that experiment.

GT

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
HLaB said:
There used to be a bike parked out back of my office with a Red front light ;)

Passed a guy running a red for his front today - very odd, as you spend a little while wondering if you're very fast (or they're very slow) then you realise why the closing speed of that "rear" light is so fast :smile:

PrettyboyTim

It's not legal to have any light pointing backwards that isn't red. It's also not legal to have a forward-facing red light.

Also, blue lights are not allowed if they could be confused with an emergency vehicle's lights.

yenrod

I recently got a small little LED of a 2LEDS set.

It has a strobe effect as in: strobe long - short pause - strobe long - short pause..etc..

Its quite similiar to a setting on an emergency vehicle. ;)

I'd love a blue flashing front....as most cardrivers dont give a toss about cyclists ! Whatever the law...

Iceniner

I came across a rider tonight who had a flashing red LED light at the front and nothing at the rear. Maybe his front batteries had gone? Who knows. but following close behind him was a guy in total black with no lights on a black bike. If he had a led at the front like the knight rider car that would have been cool :-D

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Iceniner said:
I came across a rider tonight who had a flashing red LED light at the front and nothing at the rear. Maybe his front batteries had gone? Who knows. but following close behind him was a guy in total black with no lights on a black bike. If he had a led at the front like the knight rider car that would have been cool :-D
I dont know if i should be ashamed, but i have done this( i was very bored). I didnt ride it though. We were on a campsite, and i decided to put the rear light on the front and put it on flashing setting that wouldnt make it look like the car. I left it outside for a while when it was dark witht he light flashing, and most people that walked pst it when going to the showers or whatever had a look. All i needed was it to have a voice.
I have seen some of those lights that have a red bit and a white bit. Dont really understand them. Its mainly green lights that i see, or very very dim LED lights.

Top Bottom