1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blue flashing tail light

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by LLB, 25 Jan 2008.

1. LLB

LLB Guest

I saw a guy commuting to work this morning on a MTB.

His front light was a regular one, but the tail light was a flashing blue LED one

WTF ??????;)

2. Regulator

Regulator Political refugee. Fan of Adrian.

Could have been a copper. Some of the plod that do CM only have blue lights on the back for some bizarre reason.

3. yorkshiregoth

yorkshiregoth Master of all he surveys

I sometimes use a small flashing blue light on if I use a rucksack. It's not the only or even main rear light though. I asked a BTP officer about the kosherness of it and he didn't envisage any problems with it.

4. OP
    OP
    LLB

LLB Guest

It was a wide strip light with a blue light on it (like emergency service blue). No other reflector, and no red light either. It wasn't that bright, but the colour was wrong. He definitely wasn't plod.

5. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

followed someone last week with a white rear light, bloody irritating, all wrong

idiot too

6. There used to be a bike parked out back of my office with a Red front light ;)

7. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

he probably got it off ebay - there are quite a few blue led lights on there like the cateye LD600

8. 02GF74

02GF74 Über Member

I have black lights on my bike. ;)

9. levad

levad Senior Member

Very useful on a bright sunny day, they show up very well :smile:

10. Green Teeth

Green Teeth New Member

I can't remember how I heard about these, but I found out last winter that you could buy them from Argos. I bought one (for about £8) because I thought it might focus the minds of drivers.

On the first, or possibly second, outing it got wet, the switch failed and I took it back to Argos for a refund. That was the end of that experiment.

GT

11. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

Passed a guy running a red for his front today - very odd, as you spend a little while wondering if you're very fast (or they're very slow) then you realise why the closing speed of that "rear" light is so fast :smile:

12. PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim New Member

It's not legal to have any light pointing backwards that isn't red. It's also not legal to have a forward-facing red light.

Also, blue lights are not allowed if they could be confused with an emergency vehicle's lights.

13. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

That link says it all very plainly so now we know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. yenrod

yenrod Guest

I recently got a small little LED of a 2LEDS set.

It has a strobe effect as in: strobe long - short pause - strobe long - short pause..etc..

Its quite similiar to a setting on an emergency vehicle. ;)

I'd love a blue flashing front....as most cardrivers dont give a toss about cyclists ! Whatever the law...

15. Iceniner

Iceniner New Member

I came across a rider tonight who had a flashing red LED light at the front and nothing at the rear. Maybe his front batteries had gone? Who knows. but following close behind him was a guy in total black with no lights on a black bike. If he had a led at the front like the knight rider car that would have been cool :-D