Blue Light Card -NHS discounts - Beware

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You would think that a discount scheme and card - targeted especially at NHS and emergency services would be pretty straight forward and bona fide.

But beware - this isn't actually anything to do with the NHS - it is a private company - and basically appears to have some very underhand practices

I signed up (like many others) paid my £5 - like many others my card didn't arrive - but and here the catch:-

1. Blue light will only refund if you return the card (which I and my colleagues don't have)
  2. In any case the card has to be returned within 28 days of dispatch !!
Trust pilot is rammed with users review who have the £5 taken - but the cards never arrive.

It disgusts me that a private company is allowed to set up masquerading as an NHS associated company - then have a set of clearly underhand terms and conditions basically conning many low paid NHS staff out of £5

Not overally bothered about £5 - but appalled than and company can and is allowed to stoop so low.

Please share this around

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
You would think that a discount scheme and card - targeted especially at NHS and emergency services would be pretty straight forward and bona fide.

But beware - this isn't actually anything to do with the NHS - it is a private company - and basically appears to have some very underhand practices

I signed up (like many others) paid my £5 - like many others my card didn't arrive - but and here the catch:-

1. Blue light will only refund if you return the card (which I and my colleagues don't have)
  2. In any case the card has to be returned within 28 days of dispatch !!
Trust pilot is rammed with users review who have the £5 taken - but the cards never arrive.

It disgusts me that a private company is allowed to set up masquerading as an NHS associated company - then have a set of clearly underhand terms and conditions basically conning many low paid NHS staff out of £5

Not overally bothered about £5 - but appalled than and company can and is allowed to stoop so low.

Please share this around

That's shocking

This is definitely a case for the Rogue Traders on BBC Watchdog at the very least.

Perhaps you should get in touch

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Did you try to print another card, as advised in the site FAQs?

That option is available up to 90 days from the original posted date and is free.

"My card has not arrived:
If it has been 14 days since your card was posted, you will be able to reprint a card in the ‘My Card’ section of the Blue Light Card website. This is a new application so you will be able to re-enter the postal address.

Only if it has been more than 14 days - you cannot reprint a card until the 14 days are up."

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Did you try to print another card, as advised in the site FAQs?

That option is available up to 90 days from the original posted date and is free.

"My card has not arrived:
If it has been 14 days since your card was posted, you will be able to reprint a card in the ‘My Card’ section of the Blue Light Card website. This is a new application so you will be able to re-enter the postal address.

Only if it has been more than 14 days - you cannot reprint a card until the 14 days are up."
No I didn't.
But there appears to be widespread cards not arriving. ....and actually you can't print the card from the website...so it's only another way of doing what I've already done. So many cards are going missing - I suspect they aren't being sent.

netman

Veteran
My Defence Discount card (run by the same company on behalf of the MOD) has saved me £100's over the past 3 years, more high street stores are accepting the cards all the time.
Same here - been a member for years and no problems...

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Same here - been a member for years and no problems...
Don't know what's happened then - reviews bare all saying the same thing ...no cards ...no refund ...about 6 of ordered in my office ....only 1 has received the card ......and even he had problems buying some cinema tickets

Drago

Legendary Member
In the interests of balance, I've been a blue light card holder for years and it's saved me hundreds. Just tonight it saved me 18 quid off a meal for 6.

I first got it many moons ago when I was dibble, still qualify now through SAR. I know literally dozens of users and have never personally come across anyone that has had an adverse experience.

I don't think anyone anywhere has ever thought it was anything other than an organisation independent of the police, NHS, etc. I've never seen them give even the slightest impression that they were.

Last edited:
I first got it many moons ago when I was dibble, still qualify now through SAR. I know literally dozens of users and have never personally come across anyone that has had an adverse experience.
Likewise, I know of no complaining staff at our Hospital, or amongst YAS (Yorkshire Ambulance Service)
Granted!!!, I've not talked to every member of staff

We also (as a Trust) have 'arrangements' - or they do with us... - for local discounts on showing of Trust ID badge

postman

Legendary Member
Mrs P applied for one after her relatives ex RAF told her about it.After reading this last night i asked had hers arrived.She had an e mail telling her to expect it this weekend.

Top Bottom