Blurred lines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru

Shaun

Custom24

Über Member
To me, they only sound superficially similar. The chord progression is much more complex and just different in the Gaye song. The only two things I hear that are similar are (a) the cowbell sound and (b) a sort of similar sparse bass line.

I'm not a fan of either song, or either artist. I wonder if Thicke et al basically scored an own goal with the pre-emptive litigation, raising an issue that would otherwise never have come to light.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember

Completely agree. They got taken to the cleaners. It's a great album without that song as well...just so happens that it's the best song on the album though and the sales they got were great off the back of it. I heard they lost 10% of album sale revenue to them as well. You'd have thought they'd have enough money to not need to do that...especially when they only strayed slightly over the line of an agreement. Still...without those 2 pieces of music, they probably never would have written the song and as good as they already were, it gave their career a heck of a bounce. Robin Thicke on the other hand...well he can just fark off.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
It seems Sam Smiths " stay with me " also copied " wont back down "
It seems stealing songs can make you rich and famous and you only have to give a small amount of money back .
I have a cunning plan ......

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...

Especially harsh seeing as the Drolling Bones nicked half their stuff from old blues songs and then claimed them as their own.

winjim

Smash the cistern
It seems Sam Smiths " stay with me " also copied " wont back down "
It seems stealing songs can make you rich and famous and you only have to give a small amount of money back .
I have a cunning plan ......
Tom Petty accepts that the similarity is pure coincidence and that Smith's writing team were in no way copying him. He has however, publicly thanked Smith for "doing the right thing", and taken a share of the royalties and a writing credit.

Sorry Tom, did you write the bloody song or not? Because you don't get to take the moral high ground and the money. Nobber.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Tom Petty accepts that the similarity is pure coincidence and that Smith's writing team were in no way copying him. He has however, publicly thanked Smith for "doing the right thing", and taken a share of the royalties and a writing credit.

Sorry Tom, did you write the bloody song or not? Because you don't get to take the moral high ground and the money. Nobber.

I won't hear a word against Tom Petty, the guy's a bona fide musical genius, he can have the dosh and the high ground.

Top Bottom