BMC Roadmachine (RM03)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Does anyone on here have one of these (or RM01/RM02) - any thoughts?

Also - there seems to be a small issue re finding mudguards that actually fit. Has anyone managed to solve this?
I very nearly bought a BMC Pro Machine frameset one time but couldn't quite persuade myself it was large enough, I've always liked the look of the BMC frames though.

So I can't comment on the actual bike, but I have had THESE guards on my CAAD10 in the past, (the CAAD10 is a race derived bike so has minimal clearances).

As for fitting, they can bit a bit of a faff on bikes with minimal clearance, but remember you're trying to fit something to a bike that was never designed to have guards, so IMO there will always be a compromise to some degree.

I've never used the MK3 version TBH but I have used both MK1 and MK2 versions successfully on the CAAD, hope that helps :okay:

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
This is the bike - it does have 'guard mounts but seemingly it is difficult to find guards that actually fit and the BMC ones are £140.. :wacko:

https://www.evanscycles.com/bmc-roadmachine-rm03-105-2017-road-bike-EV277890

bmc-roadmachine-rm03-105-2017-road-bike-white-red-EV277890-9030-1.jpg

The angle of the rear seat stays is obviously the issue with fitting.

BMC are obviously aware of this and being greedy as a result :cursing:

Not even sure the Cruds would go on that TBH. Looks like you'll have to partake in some jiggery pokery or buy a new bike :laugh:

Last edited:
OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

Crap bike

@400bhp

Why's that?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
He doesn't like disc brakes. Ergo, he thinks it's a rubbish bike.

BMC are taking the proverbial with that price tag for mudguards, but they've designed themselves into a corner with that one. Clearly not intended for mudguards from the off. Lovely bike though.

172traindriver

Legendary Member

BMC are taking the proverbial with that price tag for mudguards, but they've designed themselves into a corner with that one. Clearly not intended for mudguards from the off. Lovely bike though.

Only thing though is it looks like disc brakes are here to stay, so whatever folks think of them they will become more common.
Look at 2018 models and there are loads on offer.

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

I think it looks quite nice and at £1400 is a bit of a bargain in today's market.

The 2018 version is due in Feb 2018 and is £2000 - same spec' apart from the twhhels are Aksiums instead of Novatecs, the tyres are Vittoria instead of Conti' (I'd be changing them anyway) and the chainset is 105 5800 instead of the non-series R500 which tbh I prefer*.

*Not a biggie as it's simply a chainset but I am not over keen on the Shimano 4 arm look.

Nothing worth £600 and a long wait for me re the 2018 model.

Will be having a test ride next week.

tambo

@SpokeyDokey

im in the same position as you, i would love to buy this bike but am concerned i cant fit guards to it.

how did you get on with your test ride? did you buy and have you got guards that fit?

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

@SpokeyDokey

im in the same position as you, i would love to buy this bike but am concerned i cant fit guards to it.

how did you get on with your test ride? did you buy and have you got guards that fit?

@tambo

Yes, I did test ride it and it felt like a comfy bike over a short 15 mile ride. Looks really nice in the flesh as well.

The 'guard issue seems like a big deal and to fit anything other than the crazily priced BMC ones seems like a bit of a bodge so I didn't bother to buy right now.

Looking at other options although I may just go guard-less as I do on my current bike - I don't commute on it plus I try to avoid really wet days tbh.

Top Bottom