BMW Hit & Run

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boydj

Legendary Member
I have no defence for the driver, but what do you see in that video that make you think it was deliberate?

The driver has swerved onto the wrong side of the road , hit the cyclist, failed to stop and driven off with a badly damaged car. If the swerve and collision were not deliberate, the failure to stop certainly was. Clearly something caused the swerve as well, possibly drink or phone use or some other form of impairment.

D

Deleted member 26715

The driver has swerved onto the wrong side of the road , hit the cyclist, failed to stop and driven off with a badly damaged car. If the swerve and collision were not deliberate, the failure to stop certainly was. Clearly something caused the swerve as well, possibly drink or phone use or some other form of impairment.
Can't disagree with any of that but again you have also failed to address the question what are you seeing in the video that makes you think it was deliberate

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Can't tell if he swerved onto wrong side of the road or was just driving down wrong side of road. He was coming at a fair lick and prop saw cyclist too late.

Massively stupid driving, but doesn't appear to be attempted murder.

Deserves a custodial but won't get one

Zanelad

Guru
Probably distracted, phone or something, drifted across tbe road and saw the cyclist and panicked.

No excuse for not stopping. I doubt the punishment will be much worse than if they'd done the right thing, should the driver be brought to court and a decent chance of getting away with it.

Just seen the cyclist on BBC London news. He was a lucky lad. He's not yet complained formally about the effort put in by the police. Time to do so, I think.

Dommo

Veteran
There is possibly CCTV from another angle somewhere which would show if he was already on the wrong side of the road for any other reason than to deliberately take out the cyclist. That said, if the police can't even be arsed to get the first piece of footage or basically do anything, then there's little chance of any further investigation.

Which got me thinking, is there some form of fund setup somewhere for private investigation of these types of incidents whereby plod's work is privately funded and then handed to them on a plate? I'd happily chuck money into such a fund.

D

Deleted member 26715

Which got me thinking, is there some form of fund setup somewhere for private investigation of these types of incidents whereby plod's work is privately funded and then handed to them on a plate? I'd happily chuck money into such a fund.
I think that is a great idea but unfortunately huge can of worms I think, if you go frame by frame as slow as possible the BMW is already over the white line when you first see it.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
As I said above third similar issue I have seen reported this week. See below I have copied a post from the local cycling group Facebook page:

"Police still not got back to me with any progress with the chap that knocked me off my bike last Saturday even though we have photo of his van and with his personal details being on Facebook (he’s now taken this down). Been told by consultant it’ll be 4 months until I’m back to full fitness. It looks like cyclists being badly injured by hit and run drivers is not a priority for police in Derby. I seem to have got more response and information from this cycling group than the police and even had to go into the pub myself to get a decent copy of CCTV as police say their copy was too poor quality to identify van. It then took a minute for me to get a positive ID for van from people in this group. Doesn’t give me much confidence in cycling again in Derby. Thanks to everyone for helping so far."

Many responses on Facebook sympathetic to police being under resources. I am not sure that sympathy to the police for doing a piss poor job is necessarily appropriate myself.
Ihave to agree with regards our local plod,when i was knocked off they were not that interested and a month or so back i tried to report a driver on his phone i had seen outside the school at coming out time with time,, date, phone number , van reg etc ( number on the van ) and they replied telling me as they hadnt seen it they would not pursue the matter.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm wondering what the police response will be, if he gets hold of CCTV footage and the registered keepers details.

Both should, in theory, be now easy to obtain. Request in for CCTV footage, where the cyclist is visible, under the "new rules". £12.50 to get the registered keepers/owners details.

viniga

Guru
Can't disagree with any of that but again you have also failed to address the question what are you seeing in the video that makes you think it was deliberate

As I said I do not know what happened on the road before this. I acknowledge that perception and fact can be two different things and I hope that this was not a deliberate act but this was my perception when I watched it. So I watched it again.

Why? Well it looks deliberate due to the chosen trajectory of the car, it comes round the corner at speed on the RH side of the road with no obstacle on the LH side to avoid, in the short period of time in the video where (if he was looking) the cyclist was visible to the driver there seems to be no attempt made to swerve or emergency brake. The car correcting course after hitting the cyclist almost seeming like it was a perfectly timed hit. Finally, no attempt is made to give any aid afterwards.

Now perhaps the driver did not see the cyclist until too late, perhaps they were to scared of the consequences and so didn't stop. But they chose their speed and line - that was a deliberate choice and makes the subsequent collision look deliberate.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I didn't know this bastard, namely Sean Fagan, 29, (1.12.89) of Regina Road, Crouch Hill, had been caught and has already pled guilty to causing serious injury by dangerous driving, failing to stop and failing to report. http://courtnewsuk.co.uk/bmw-driver-faces-jail-mowing-down-cyclist/

He is bailed until 2 July and will hopefully get a proper jail sentence.

I was wondering what happened in this case - it is a bit worrying that the judge is hinting that a custodial sentence may not be appropriate.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I was wondering what happened in this case - it is a bit worrying that the judge is hinting that a custodial sentence may not be appropriate.
"‘This is a serious matter which would normally attract an immediate prison sentence." So, what's 'abnormal' about this case of a driver ploughing into a cyclist and doing a runner?

Top Bottom