BMX Chain Guard

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
Bought a cheap commuter for my son as his exisiting Islabike Beinn is too nice to leave at school and he he is nearly too big for it (new bike at Xmas, maybe).

It's a BMX style bike which has fittings for a chain guard but didn't come with one. Any idea where I might source one? Ordinarily I would say don't bother but he's daffy footed and is getting chain oil all over his legs and school uniform.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Try asking nicely at your LBS. BMXs tend to get shipped with chainguards (the kind that stretch right along the chainstay), but they're not very "cool" and tend to be removed at the earliest opportunity (if they ever get fitted).

OP
OP
ChrisKH

ChrisKH

Guru
NickM said:
A dry lubricant might be worth its weight in trousers...

(but don't little boys wear shorts to school any more?)

This 'little' nine year old is in age 14-15 clothing. But, yest he does wear shorts. Anyway, the reason for looking for a guard is he dismounts from left to right (I do so right to left) and puts his leg straight on the chain.

Nevertheless dry lubricant is a good idea as well. Thanks.

OP
OP
ChrisKH

ChrisKH

Guru
Landslide said:
Try asking nicely at your LBS. BMXs tend to get shipped with chainguards (the kind that stretch right along the chainstay), but they're not very "cool" and tend to be removed at the earliest opportunity (if they ever get fitted).

You were on the money Landslide. They had a Universal chainguard and they gave it to me for free, nada, nothing. So they have gone up in my estimation. They know I'm always popping in there, so it's good bus. dev. I guess. Thanks.

Top Bottom