Boardman 8.8 vs Trek Roscoe 7

Which Bike?

• Boardman 8.8

• Trek Roscoe 7

Results are only viewable after voting.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dc123321

Hello all,

I am looking at buying my first mountain bike, a big moment I know!

I was looking at getting either the Boardman 8.8 or the Trek Roscoe 7, they both look great in the specs.

https://www.trekbikes.com/ie/en_IE/...oscoe/roscoe-7/p/28499/?colorCode=orange_grey

https://www.halfords.ie/bikes/mountain-bikes/boardman-mht-8.8-mens-mountain-bike-189374.html

As far as I see it I see the 8.8 has the pros of being cheaper(€1100 vs €1299) and has better brakes(MT400 vs MT200).

Whereas the Roscoe 7 has the dropper seat and wider tires but are smaller(27.5x2.8" vs 29x2.25")

The dropper would set me back €130 + €?? for installation so the costs would almost even out.

So from what I can see, specs wise, the Roscoe 7 looks like a better option, wider tires and already has the dropper installed.

If I were to get the 8.8 I would need to buy both the dropper and wider tires, I think.

Can anyone provide any input or preference for the above?

Thanks in advance.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Both look like great bikes, a Boardman is always going to be better value than a one of the big names like Trek. Both seem pretty comparable but the Trek’s RD looks too close to the ground for comfort on a mountain bike.
Where and how are you going to be riding it?
Id say the difference in tyre/wheel sizes would make little difference off road.
The fact that one has a slightly later version of brakes doesn’t necessarily make them any better.
The Trek has internal cable routing while the Boardman’s is external.
The Trek is certainly prettier compared to the rather drab scheme on the Halfords offering.

BTW :welcome: to the forum.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dc123321

Both look like great bikes, a Boardman is always going to be better value than a one of the big names like Trek. Both seem pretty comparable but the Trek’s RD looks too close to the ground for comfort on a mountain bike.
Where and how are you going to be riding it?
Id say the difference in tyre/wheel sizes would make little difference off road.
The fact that one has a slightly later version of brakes doesn’t necessarily make them any better.
The Trek has internal cable routing while the Boardman’s is external.
The Trek is certainly prettier compared to the rather drab scheme on the Halfords offering.

BTW :welcome: to the forum.

Thanks for the reply!

I heard that wider tires give a smoother feel for rockier/rooted trails
I will be starting on trails around Ireland at first but would aim to go a lot of places with it and on more difficult trails.
I had looked at the brakes and apparently the MT400s are much better than the MT200s but it may not much such a big difference for me starting off I would say.
Cable routing is a good point but I don't think I would be doing much with the cables often so maybe it is a minor difference for me.

Thanks for the welcome party :P

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I’d say the wider tyres giving smoother feel is marginal, pressures are going to be the deciding factor there. If you’re going to be using it on the road at all the fatter ones will suck the energy out of your efforts but pumping them up to the max will negate that a bit.
You can get problems with internal routed cables rattling.
Good luck with whatever you go for.

Last edited:

Duffy

Über Member
I bought my son a 8.8 about 10 months ago, it’s been brilliant, it rides really well, the shock is very capable and the brakes are powerful/quiet/consistent.
It just works.

Top Bottom