Boardman ADV 8.9 E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ralphbostie

Yes I will make sure they are done with loctite And torqued up properly.
I just bought the down tube cover as well, got it for £70, thanks for the tip on mudguards as I have been looking for some, I will check them out. Seems a very good idea to stop as much dirt as possible getting on the vent. thanks again.
Just looked at the mud guards , am going to get some.:bicycle:
If you do get the mudguards, I bought two small L shaped brackets from Wilko, drilled a small hole in the top of the mudguard to take a small bolt, fitted the L shape bracket to the plastic guard and bolted it into the hole in the fork to secure them better, same with the rear. These mudguards were recommended by Boardman when I emailed them, i got mine from Tredz, they give you a discount if you join their newsletter.

Wooly67

If you do get the mudguards, I bought two small L shaped brackets from Wilko, drilled a small hole in the top of the mudguard to take a small bolt, fitted the L shape bracket to the plastic guard and bolted it into the hole in the fork to secure them better, same with the rear. These mudguards were recommended by Boardman when I emailed them, i got mine from Tredz, they give you a discount if you join their newsletter.
Thanks Ralphbostie, will do . Good advice thanks.

gzoom

Über Member
I've got these fitted on my mine by Halfords, they been on since Feb and I've done about 700 miles now. They work very well even in heavy rain, no issues with rubbing, and I've even taken them on very 'light' off roading with no issue. They are secured with only one nut I think.

50329789647_3cb33dc115_b.jpg

50329789732_73febff3f1_b.jpg

50154333943_de4358d083_b.jpg

Ralphbostie

I've got these fitted on my mine by Halfords, they been on since Feb and I've done about 700 miles now. They work very well even in heavy rain, no issues with rubbing, and I've even taken them on very 'light' off roading with no issue. They are secured with only one nut I think.

View attachment 546499

View attachment 546500

View attachment 546501
Very nice Gzoom, they look ok. I do mostly trails the Vent part on the down tube was always muddy that’s why I had the mudguards and ever since it’s not been a problem.

Ralphbostie

Thank you. Can’t wait to get my new one......
When do you pick it up Wooly67? I’ve been doing sections of the Trans pennine trail, Chesterfield to Doncaster about 72k, came back on train, then following week I caught train to Doncaster and went up to Hornsea, stopped off overnight at Hessle near Hull. The bike handled really well, Hartley had to use the battery because it was so flat. Next week Daughter is dropping me off at Leeds Station, then I’m cycling back to Sheffield on the TPT. I haven’t gone for pannier bags, just use a saddle bag 11 litres, it’s enough for a couple of nights out, even fitting the charger in.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
When do you pick it up Wooly67? I’ve been doing sections of the Trans pennine trail, Chesterfield to Doncaster about 72k, came back on train, then following week I caught train to Doncaster and went up to Hornsea, stopped off overnight at Hessle near Hull. The bike handled really well, Hartley had to use the battery because it was so flat. Next week Daughter is dropping me off at Leeds Station, then I’m cycling back to Sheffield on the TPT. I haven’t gone for pannier bags, just use a saddle bag 11 litres, it’s enough for a couple of nights out, even fitting the charger in. View attachment 546600

I'm not familiar with the Fazua charger, but some ebike owners have had problems with the moulded/charger end of the low voltage cable severing when carried on the bike.

Answer, of course, is to pack it very carefully.

The mains lead isn't usually a problem because many of those unplug.

If yours doesn't, that also needs careful packing.

Ralphbostie

I'm not familiar with the Fazua charger, but some ebike owners have had problems with the moulded/charger end of the low voltage cable severing when carried on the bike.

Answer, of course, is to pack it very carefully.

The mains lead isn't usually a problem because many of those unplug.

If yours doesn't, that also needs careful packing.
Cheers for that, I didn’t know about the problem and I think they are costly to replace am I right? Might put it in a plastic type sandwich box next time and pack it in a small back pack. The mains lead does unplug so that can be packed separate if theirs not enough room.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I think they are costly to replace am I right?

Almost certainly, most branded ebike kit is a lot of money.

The charger may be a little more complicated than a simple trickle one.

My Bosch charger has a relay in it which I can hear clicking when it is charging both batteries on the bike.

gzoom

Über Member
@Wooly67 Hope you get the new bike soon, only had just over 1hr free this for a quick ride due to family duties, wanted to go exploring off the beaten track a bit so took the Boardman instead of my road bike.

Ended up facing this guy, decided best not to go across his field!!

50333405141_c5d02cdde9_k_d.jpg

Managed to average 18mph with a decent amount of climbing, using about 35-40% of battery. Legs feel just knackered as I would expect on my road bike, but only quicker, love it :smile:.

50333222062_137b8ddf58_c_d.jpg

Wooly67

I’ve not had my bike yet was kind of hoping to get it today, maybe tomorrow ...
When do you pick it up Wooly67? I’ve been doing sections of the Trans pennine trail, Chesterfield to Doncaster about 72k, came back on train, then following week I caught train to Doncaster and went up to Hornsea, stopped off overnight at Hessle near Hull. The bike handled really well, Hartley had to use the battery because it was so flat. Next week Daughter is dropping me off at Leeds Station, then I’m cycling back to Sheffield on the TPT. I haven’t gone for pannier bags, just use a saddle bag 11 litres, it’s enough for a couple of nights out, even fitting the charger in. View attachment 546600
I was hoping to get it today , maybe tomorrow ...can’t wait , I’ve got a 50 mile sponsored ride next Sunday so looking forward to trying it before then. That‘s some ride you’ve done there , Sounds great. it’s handy when you can get on the train too. I found when I did my first ride on mine I didn’t use battery until on way home. I do love it, just hope all is well with my new one.

Wooly67

@Wooly67 Hope you get the new bike soon, only had just over 1hr free this for a quick ride due to family duties, wanted to go exploring off the beaten track a bit so took the Boardman instead of my road bike.

Ended up facing this guy, decided best not to go across his field!!

View attachment 546692

Managed to average 18mph with a decent amount of climbing, using about 35-40% of battery. Legs feel just knackered as I would expect on my road bike, but only quicker, love it :smile:.

View attachment 546693
yes that a good ride with a good climb, it’s really good that you can still feel it in the legs and feel like you have had a good ride. With the assist for the hills of course..lol
I should get my bike tomorrow hopefully.... was hoping for it today , but not to be... As long as all is ok with it I will ring up in the morning. Watch this space ! You could have out pedalled that fellah ok. Haha

gzoom

Über Member
Watch this space ! You could have out pedalled that fellah ok. Haha

Let us know how you get on.....I did think about opening the gate, but than remembered am still recovering from this argument I had with the tarmac not that long ago :smile:.

50089724476_cf899c66a7_b.jpg

Top Bottom