Boardman ADV 8.9 E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

legitsan

Regular
Hello everybody I feel abit of a traitor to be asking for HELP off people on this Boardman chat site
,I would have been a Boardman adv e owner but there was a sale on a Vitus Fazuapower bicycle 2021
model ,so I bought that one instead ,So what is my problem , I have found out like GZOOM did that I
need two battery ,no problem you would think , you can't buy a new one for love or money ,
so had to a look on eBay , there was a 3 day auction , so I ask if it had been look after , yes only showing 5 charges
from new , how had he stored it , he reply as Fazua advice for storage of their battery , he sent me a another
photo showing it charging so everything seems OK , but to be on the safe side I got in touch with Fazua , because
I was not happy in having to look at a used battery and this was was the old type 250 which you have switch on ,
I was advised as long as the battery was OK it would perform just as well as the 250x the only thing you have to
do is switch it on .So here lies the problem ,it a arrived late ,it was the day before the Bank holidays , well it didn't
look well look after , still I thought its whats under the bonnet that matters ,so fitted it and using Fazua app ,
it reads 5 charges but battery heath only 95% ,now I have done 500 miles and 10 charges and the battery heath is 100% ,
1 went a couple of miles on it then using Fazua app , it returned a reading of 5 charges battery heath this time 93%,
I discharge the battery to 7% then charge it up to 100% , it now showed 6 charges but battery heath this time 96%.
I am hoping that GZOOM will be reading this because I am sure he will have the answer , Fazua didn't tell me that the
250 is not a sealed battery like the250x , it got 8 screws fastening the cover on , and I can't find any tamper paint on
any of the screws .? Any help on the above would be a great help , PS Don't think this was a cheap eBay deal I paid
more for this battery than when it was new , if you remove the VAT at 20% . Any help on the above would be great .

Attachments

• IMG_20220601_191312.jpg
    IMG_20220601_191312.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20220603_144730.jpg
    IMG_20220603_144730.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20220604_164836.jpg
    IMG_20220604_164836.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20220604_165326.jpg
    IMG_20220604_165326.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20220604_165528.jpg
    IMG_20220604_165528.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 11

ianmac62

Guru
I see no reason why you cannot tour with the bike. Its nothing special though the motor support. At a push I think you can get 40-50 miles out of the battery if you stay within the 15.5mph cut off and aim to go above that speed on most flats. A second battery however will give you more room to cover 60-70 miles in a day.

Just catching up with this forum. The ADV 8.9e worked very well for me on a tour last year and I'm off again in two weeks time.

In 2021, seven days of Cambridgeshire & Lincolnshire (The Fridays' Fenland Fling). Average daily mileage about 60. I carry a second battery (in the nifty, but expensive bag made by Evok for Fazua - I think it's worth it). I only swopped batteries during a ride once and that was on the longest day (72 miles) when, delayed by my wish to visit Little Gidding (it's a T S Eliot thing), half the group chased down the others at quick speed. Generally, on tour, I only use assist for hills and possibly a headwind so your mileage may vary. Otherwise I just swopped the batteries overnight.

The thing is that, after a lung operation and a heart attack, I wouldn't keep up with the group without some e-assist.

Mudguards were needed - and a pannier rack fitted solidly to the rear triangle.

In two weeks I'm off for nine days on The Friday Genteel Tour - and very confident that my ADV 8.9e will be just the job.

CXRAndy

Guru
My Daughter has a HYB 8.6. She is not a keen rider. We now live where there are some hills. I will most likely install a Tongscheng TSDZ2 motor kit with OSF.

gzoom

Über Member
@legitsan Not sure what you mean by paint on the screws, but on the battery packs I have the screws are painted over, though am not sure how tamper proof they are or if you could tell they have been opened.

For battery health, they do degrade (like all batteries), the older battery is currently at 94% health after 75 cycles, and the newer battery at 96% health after 28 cycles. Battery degradation is never linear, and in reality/usage I cannot tell any difference the range of either battery new compared to now.

I suspect the battery you have just hasn't been used for a while, or has some 'calendar' degradation - Most commercial battery cells will degrade a bit in usable life just from sitting there idle.

Essentially I wouldn't worry about it, battery degradation is a fact of life with any EV, as long as you can get replacement packs its fine though its worrying getting hold of a new pack from Fazua appears so hard.

For interest our EV (Car) battery has done roughly 290 cycles over 4.5 years, and its currently only showing 6-7% degradation. So the battery in these eBikes are clearly not the same quality/standard as the cells you find in EV car. It would be interesting to see if you could put in automotive grade cells into these packs as an DIY project, though probably not worth the effort or fire risk :smile:.

52128263145_704282321a_c_d.jpg

52070805953_1a2e209b06_c_d.jpg

52076674997_787baf182a_c_d.jpg

Gctips

Seems I was getting ahead of myself. Just had a reply to a message I sent to Boardman.

"We do apologise but by the looks of it the bike you have requested wont be available till 2023. Sorry for the inconvenience that this may have caused."

quilkin

Seems I was getting ahead of myself. Just had a reply to a message I sent to Boardman.

"We do apologise but by the looks of it the bike you have requested wont be available till 2023. Sorry for the inconvenience that this may have caused."
What model / size were you hoping to buy?

Gctips

Banbury Halfords:
' Item is available in selected store'

That's what the website claims, if you're anywhere near.

View attachment 648237
Banbury Halfords:
' Item is available in selected store'

That's what the website claims, if you're anywhere near.

View attachment 648237

Gctips

Yes it's very confusing!! They have now stock anywhere but I have found at least 6 stores showing stock!! There answer to that was it's a mistake??

Swidy

Hi There,
I have the Boardman 8.9 Adv e bike and I am very happy with it, I bought it last year when I was having problems with my left hip, after complete Hip replacing in January I'm back riding and am now riding without assistance on some rides so, I'm looking for the blank downtube and saw one on eBay in different colours and wondered if anyone has bought one, £34 cheaper than the cheapest aluminium one and weighs 1.2Kg less-

sorry couldn't get the link to work but this is the description on eBay

FAZUA Evation fit e-bike downtube cover tube for Fazua Evation based e-bikes

richtea

FAZUA Evation fit e-bike downtube cover tube for Fazua Evation based e-bikes
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165488872649
They're not genuine, but then again the original one is just a hollow tube with caps, so as long as it fits well enough to stop water ingress (or you ride in the dry), it seems like a good way to save money.

They also sell bottom brackets covers for Fazua:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165419336502
Not such good value. The original Orbea one is cheaper - if you can get one at Euro list price in the UK.

legitsan

Regular

gzoom Thanks for your reply , I just be too busy with eBay ,all good in the end the battery has gone back . THE BATTERY past all tests , it was the seller description that was the problem , I wouldn't have bid that amount of money on a battery with that state of health ,below is parts of two emails from Fazua , The 8 screws hold the plate on the 250 battery ,but on my 250x its looked sealed with one screw at each end .​

Thank you for the fast reply and for sending me the diagnostic report.
All the the values in the report look okay and I couldn't find any problem.
The SoH (state of health) also depends somewhat on the age and storage of the battery, not just the number of charge cycles.
Since you have nought the used battery, it is very hard to say the details, but in the report looks all good.
SoH is only a rough guide and can therefore vary slightly in the app.
I hope this answer could help you.
I hope you have a nice week and please let me know if you have any additional questions.
Best regards,
Luka - FAZUA ServiceLuka Maksimovic 09.06.2022, 10:49
Thank you for the fast reply.
There is no anti tampering noticeable by the customer. The battery is sealed however, its housing has an integrated sealing - but besides the manufacturer there is no safe way to find out if the battery has been opened before
But from our experience after being opened one time it can be seen as the housing will not again close with a 100% fit, so you most likely would notice bigger gaps around the screws where the housing is fixated
Ocourse, we will not forget our Ride50 drive system.
We will always offer the spare parts and try to improve our product.
Best regards,
Luka - FAZUA
I asked Luka about the future of our system now Porsche have taken over.
Its a pity ,because you can see that when Porsche bought 20% the next thing was the motor being built in ,so only the battery can be removed .
i was holding out to buy the new ride 50 trail and uprated bottom gear box ,but saw what was happening and was lucky that I got 20% off last year model.
I more than happy with old system , not been a hill yet that it and I haven't climbed ,
I post in a bit about the way I take the motor/battery out !

cartman

Our HYB8.9e (not the ADV but same wheel size I believe) has SKS Blumels mudguards:
Blumels 10433
They're good quality.
Other suppliers are available. :blink:

Thanks for that, I am trying to work out how to attach the front mudguard because there aren’t any bolt holes in the carbon forks and the wheel nuts are recessed. Any chance of posting a couple of photos please showing the front and back attachments? Cheers.

richtea

Thanks for that, I am trying to work out how to attach the front mudguard because there aren’t any bolt holes in the carbon forks and the wheel nuts are recessed. Any chance of posting a couple of photos please showing the front and back attachments? Cheers.

Can't post photos for a day or two but I'm pretty sure the bolt holes are on the inside of the forks, maybe a 1/3rd the way up.
Can't remember for the back - sorry, but I'll post something on Monday.

Top Bottom