Boardman ADV 8.9 E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smudge

Veteran
You're right, Pale Rider, the premium is around £1000-1250 for the battery system. I'll wait for a Fazua-based model to drop below £2k before buying another. Because of my height, I need a an XL frame so it has to be the ADV not the HYB model.

In terms of battery value, I don't need the extra energy (or the extra wattage that some others offer), and I appreciate the tidy Fazua design.
I really just need a little extra up the hills - but as ever, it's horses for courses. Give it another 10 years, and I'll want double the power!

I had the same problem of the HYB model only going up to L, wasn't big enough to fit me right. I probably would have bought one if they did it in an XL. Especially as Halfords was doing it for £1,850 around last November.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You're right, Pale Rider, the premium is around £1000-1250 for the battery system. I'll wait for a Fazua-based model to drop below £2k before buying another. Because of my height, I need a an XL frame so it has to be the ADV not the HYB model.

In terms of battery value, I don't need the extra energy (or the extra wattage that some others offer), and I appreciate the tidy Fazua design.
I really just need a little extra up the hills - but as ever, it's horses for courses. Give it another 10 years, and I'll want double the power!

You've weighed it up nicely.

A Fazua bike is not for everyone, but it looks like it will suit you.

At least you are getting some quality engineering for the cash premium.

The eBrompton is close to daylight robbery, unless you bought one in the dark.

It's a £100 hub motor and a £300 battery in a Brommie bag - total about £500.

Yet they charge £2,700 for it fitted to a £1,000 Brompton, albeit neatly fitted.

A true victory of style over substance.

gzoom

Über Member
Everyone has to make a living, but the dearer Fazua bikes looked close to profiteering.

I think the marketing strategy of Fazua, much like other brands (eg Apple/Tesla etc) they are aiming for the 'premium' end of the market. I have to say the fact the Boardman shares the same e drivetrain as a Look/Pinarello road bike was enough to convince me to get one as my first eBike rather than any other system. For Boardman its a great move to use the Fazua system.

Now that I've done decent miles on the bike, am itching at my next ebike purchase. The Boardman is a great commuter bike, but the laid back geometry, very very flexible frame compared Trek Madone frame, fat tyres means I don't think the true potential of the Fazua system can ever be truly realised on the Boardman frame. For example attacking a 5-6% climb on the Boardman is simply not as 'fun' as on my Trek road bike despite its having electrical assistance.

This is what am now saving up for, yes there are much cheaper ways to get on a eRoad bike, but much like everything else in life there is a market at every price level. Given my last Trek roadbike is still serving me despite been nearly a decade old, I'll be more than happy to splash on a more special frame/setup to pair up with Fazua system.........Yes just like the Pinarello Nytro, its an obscene amount to even think about spending on a pedal bike, but the world events of late have shown everyone how short life really is. If you can afford it, why not?? But I do think I'll wait another 12 month for the inevitable, 40%+ sales :smile:.

49684101077_c475dd7c3c_b.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TyrannosaurusTreks

TyrannosaurusTreks

Formerly known as Giantbadge
....Yes just like the Pinarello Nytro, its an obscene amount to even think about spending on a pedal bike, but the world events of late have shown everyone how short life really is. If you can afford it, why not?? But I do think I'll wait another 12 month for the inevitable, 40%+ sales :smile:

I totally agree with you on that😁, I have the domane + & it is a beautiful ride.
Love the colour of the Lt🤪

gzoom

Über Member
Off topic, but I do love Trek bikes, ever since I had a ride on a USPS spec bike from the Armstrong eria...

8685602191_a38138ef6a_b.jpg

This is the road bike I have now, pretty old by modern standards with no internal cabling or ability for disc brakes, but as they say 'it's not about the bike' :smile:.

9598001068_74f3372547_c_d.jpg

The 2020 Domane is mouth watering, my Boradman is average bike made great because of the Fazua system, but the Trek looks like an awesome bike full stop :smile:.

gzoom

Über Member
So my bike ended up needing to be 'rebuilding' by local Halfords to finally sort out a crank noise that was persistent.

Yesterday Fazua released an software update for their eBike motor, now allows quite a lot of customisation of how the motor kicks in. Will give it a go tomorrow to see if it makes any difference to my average speed on the commute.

Overall over 200 miles done now, really enjoying the bike despite the trips back to Halfords to sort out crank noise.

49779234728_27b39d1bd8_c.jpg

Last edited:

richtea

It looks like Fazua have re-designed their lock mechanism, which is the source of mild irritation on existing bikes (stiff, slightly awkward to use, but not a showstopper):
New:
https://fazua.com/en/drive-system/evation/locker-px/
It doesn't appear that you can retro-fit the new lock.

Turns out I was wrong - as ever!

You can retro-fit the new lock & remote to existing bikes. £149 gets you the pair - Locker pX + Remote fX.
The lock replaces the existing mechanism, and the remote fills the hole of the old lock's push button.

Fazua suggests you get your local (Fazua) dealer to fit them.

I haven't tried them, but I'd say the replacement lock looks simpler to use (a lever instead of the existing quite tough button), but not so sure about the remote. Having controls on the handlebar might be more conveneient for many than stretching to the down tube.

For anyone considering a new Fazua-enabled bike, I suggest you try and get this update for free, or use the info to get an equivalent price reduction on your bike.

gzoom

Über Member
Had the email about the new lock/remote retrofit today, am not sure its worth the money. Am quite happy with the current lock at present.

Am more excited about the up and coming phone app. Overall though great to see a company offering retrofits and supporting all their customers rather than force you to buy a new bike :smile:.

49797195276_8b704c10d8_c_d.jpg

gzoom

Über Member
Getting some miles in now with the new software update. The effect is quite noticeable, the assistance on the flat with no wind is almost too much, doesn't feel like cycling when you are hardly having to put the effort in but still going along at a reasonable pace.

For the commute though it's very useful though. Getting very settled with the bike and the commute, half considering some Chinese Carbon wheels to make climbing more engaging though am not sure if they will survive out pot hole covered roads, but otherwise have no plans to modify the bike.

Ralphbostie

Never thought about pulling the battery into the frame whilst pushing the lock - I'll give that a try.

Couldn't ride it to work today as it started clunking noisily on each pedal rotation yesterday on the way in and got much worse on the way home. Took a look when I got into the flat and as I suspected, the bottom bracket unit was loose. I went to get my allen keys to tighten the loose bolts and then found they were Torx bolts. Tightened one a little with an allen key to see how loose it was, but didn't use any pressure for fear of stripping the Torx head. It was actually VERY loose.

Torx set on order from Amazon and should be arriving at the private Amazon locker at work today.
Had the same problem, clunking noise on pedal rotation, been searching online and found the answer on here from your post, tightened all four bolts (one was very loose) the noise has now gone, thanks for the advice.

CXRAndy

Guru
Had the same problem, clunking noise on pedal rotation, been searching online and found the answer on here from your post, tightened all four bolts (one was very loose) the noise has now gone, thanks for the advice.

Best would be to apply Loctite thread locker to stop vibration loosening

Bovis

Had the email about the new lock/remote retrofit today, am not sure its worth the money. Am quite happy with the current lock at present.

Am more excited about the up and coming phone app. Overall though great to see a company offering retrofits and supporting all their customers rather than force you to buy a new bike :smile:.

View attachment 516561
Hi. Just new to this forum and I have a quick question about the new fazua lock mechanism. I've just ordered a new Boardman Adv 8.9e from Halfords but due to the current setup in Halfords I wasn't able to get to speak to anyone there that was able to answer the question would the Boardman adv 8.9e come with this new locking mechanism. As I understand the new locking mechanism is better than the previous mechanism for ensuring the motor enclosure is secured.

Would any of you kind readers on this forum know if I could expect Halfords to be selling their Boardman's Adv 8.9e with this new mechanism?

Thanks a million

gzoom

Über Member
No idea if Halfords are doing the new lock, but I wouldn't be too bothered if they haven't. Having gotten use to the lock it's not hard to use, and I personally have has no issues.

The moving of the remote to the down tube would make it harder to change the support level.

richtea

> Would any of you kind readers on this forum know if I could expect Halfords to be selling their Boardman's Adv 8.9e with this new mechanism?

I suspect it's unlikely. Having scanned a few bikes only the most recent models seem to have it (Canyon, Trek etc). You can tell by the small lever sticking out of the down tube in the images. Examples with the new lock:
https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/e-bikes/e-road-bikes/endurace-on/endurace-on-7.0/2486.html
https://www.e-velo.uk/electric-bicy...amont-e-grandurance-rd-expert-fazua-2020.html

However, rather than guess, you could ask Boardman direct. They should be able to point your query to a knowledgable person within the company:
Email: contact@boardmanbikes.com

And please tell us the result!
Cheers...

Bovis

You can tell by the small lever sticking out of the down tube ...
Thanks all. I have emailed Boardman and I will let you know as soon as I hear. Thanks for the tip on how to spot if the bike has the new locking mechanism. The post covid19 shopping experience in Halfords isn't very conducive to asking presales questions. While queuing outside the politely efficient Halfords guy told me that noone would be able to answer such a question in store but recognised that it was a significant purchase hence he said order it online anyhow and don't collect/pay for it unless I am 100% happy with the mechanism when it's ready. Can't say fairly than that.

Top Bottom