Boardman ADV 8.9 E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Winslade

Regular
I've had the same bike since September. I really enjoy riding it, but I often struggle to release the battery. I've just taken it into Halfords for them to take a look, as I couldn't get the darn thing off at all after today's ride. Interested to see it's not just me.....
Have also had the battery drop out, just the once, but that's once too many.

My locking mechanism is now packed with chain lube and seems to be working ok but it does seem a pretty crude part of the bike. I always arrive at the bike wondering if the lock is going to work or not. I think it will be a good 6 months of trouble free cycling before I start to believe it will be ok.

Notxal

Regular
Mudguards - Just fitted some SKS Chromoplastics to my standard ADV 8.9E. Size ordered (Wiggle) were 700mm x 45mm. The fit well but you need access to some basic tools to modify some parts.

Modifications needed -
Front mudguard - Only modification was cutting the stainless wire stays to length and did this with a rotary tool with a small cutting discs (Dremel type tool).

Rear Mudguard - Ran a 5mm tap through the bike's pre-tapped bolting holes as I think the paint overspray had clogged them a little. Had to the extend the shaped cutouts on the actual mudguard where it bolts to the bottom crank bracket, did it with the Dremel with a cutting disc. Also as with the front stainless stays, shorten them to length when fitted. Had to shorten one bolt before fitting.

Last edited:

gzoom

Über Member
Had my 8.9 hybrid E for 3 weeks now, using it to get me back into cycling, commuting roughly 10 miles a day. Really loving the bike, its fast (when there isn't a 20 mile headwind blowing), handles well, and the electrical assistance gives the boost I need to get to work without becoming sweaty.

Halfords fitted some clip on mudguards which are working well, I've lowered the stem, got some toe clips, and decent lights. Am getting around 50-70km on a charge, and as my legs are getting use to having some miles put into them the Fazua system is really starting to make its presence known - the harder I push, the more assistance is given, and the faster I go, love it :smile:.

I had my doubts my spending so much on a Halfords bike, but my last Carrera Subway lasted me well (till it was nicked). Am hoping by the summer all the commuter miles will get my legs into shape to take my Trek Madone road bike back out without feeling like the old man I am these days.

49614860242_8a53f5f8b7_h.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
There was a test of a Fazua bike which reported problems with mud thrown up from the front wheel getting into the motor.

I think that was in mountain bike use, but you could consider fitting a traditional deep mudguard with a flap that sits just a few inches off the road.

richtea

The motor/battery pack has a drain hole! I kid you not. Sensible design, since water getting in would have no way out, which would be much worse. It's a small 3mm hole just above the USB port (the little bump on the motor/battery unit), and should be kept clean/open.

But I think you would have to be doing some serious off-roading to get water in, though. Commuting isn't going to get water in there.

The little weakness in the electrics design, IMHO, is the exposed sensor wires underneath the crank. They have insulation on them, but I'd like to see a small cover fitted too - with a similar 3mm drain hole, as above. I asked, but Fazua don't sell one.
I'm waiting for an intelligent Fazua owner with a 3D printer to create one, and I'll be your beta customer. :okay:

richtea

It looks like Fazua have re-designed their lock mechanism, which is the source of mild irritation on existing bikes (stiff, slightly awkward to use, but not a showstopper):

New:
https://fazua.com/en/drive-system/evation/locker-px/
Old:
https://fazua.com/en/drive-system/evation/locker/

From the picture, it looks like instead of pushing the release button on top of the frame, you now flick a lever under the frame.
That makes sense because your hands need to be underneath to catch the battery as it drops out.

It doesn't appear that you can retro-fit the new lock.

gzoom

Über Member
Really getting use to the bike now. The wide tyres and low central of gravity makes trying to do track stands very easy!

The weight of the battery on the downtube also really helps with stability in cross winds, even in 40mph gusts the bike is very stable, much for so than my Trek carbon road bike.

Taking it back to Halfords this weekend for the 'free' intial service, headset keeps coming loss, and a slight intermittent noise from the BB.

Notxal

Regular
Really getting use to the bike now. The wide tyres and low central of gravity makes trying to do track stands very easy!

The weight of the battery on the downtube also really helps with stability in cross winds, even in 40mph gusts the bike is very stable, much for so than my Trek carbon road bike.

Taking it back to Halfords this weekend for the 'free' intial service, headset keeps coming loss, and a slight intermittent noise from the BB.
Would like to know what Halfords say or diagnose about the intermittent bottom bracket noise as mine does the same. Reported it to Boardman Customer service and all they said was take it to your local Halfords. I also have an issue with the battery latch being insecure which apparently is a common issue.

The other thing to look at when you consider the bike cost is the price of the battery, motor, drive system in the BB and even the controller on the bars. A spare battery alone is over £300, the charger is over £100, the control unit on the handlebars is £100, and I dread to think what the motor and BB units would each cost. Even buying a plastic cover for the battery hole in the frame for days you wanted to ride without the battery and motor will set you back £70 - £100). Altogether, they'll be much more expensive than my current road bike was when I got it in 2008 (it was £550 - a Giant SCR2, now a Defy frame with SCR2 components after the frame cracked within warranty and the SCR frame was no longer made).
A hundred quid for a charger - Crikey!

richtea

> ...a slight intermittent noise from the BB...

If you haven't do so already, it's worth checking the bottom bracket bolts are tight. I checked my better halfs, and one was loose (no BB noise, mind - I was just checking), and I know someone further up the thread had the same problem. I don't know the formal torque required, but it shouldn't be loose. And carry the Torx key with you - 10 grams of 'security'!

richtea

> A hundred quid for a charger - Crikey!

As far as I can tell, this is the charger:
http://www.mdacharger.com/charger36v/88.html

And this is the (quite high tech) connector:
https://www.rosenberger.com/en/products/automotive/ropd.php

I haven't tried creating / buying one, but that's where I'll be looking first, should I ever need a replacement charger.

MDA make chargers for other e-bikes (GTech have the same 42v 2A output, I think), so it's worth checking their prices if you can find one with the same characteristics. I've seen a few at £30-40, but you'll need to graft your own Rosenberger connector on.

Or just email MDA, and see if they sell direct.

gzoom

Über Member
The noise in the bottom bracket was loss bolts that need tightening, also had loss headset which was partly down to disc brake mount bolts not tight.

Would be nice to have problems, but local Halfords sorted the issues quickly and on the spot.

Loving the bike overall, yesterday when going up hill into wind I thought I try what it was like to ride with the motor off......Needless to say I turned the motor back on pretty sharpish :smile:.

I've got the hand of the battery pack latch now, no issues so far but still only early days.

richtea

> A hundred quid for a charger - Crikey!
I haven't tried creating / buying one, but that's where I'll be looking first, should I ever need a replacement charger.

Just in case someone comes to read this in a year's time, looking for a broken Boardman charger solution:
- A cheap near-match MDA charger came up on eBay for £20 (made for an iconBIT scooter). I bought it, opened it and compared it to our genuine Fazua-branded one.

The volts & amps match the Fazua, both boards and components are near-identical, just a few changes, with nothing to suggest it wouldn't work.
The iconBIT one is slightly older I think - it had a datestamp of 1805, so I guess that's May 2018.

The interesting bit is that although the Fazua one has the fancy Rosenberger power + data connectior, it only uses the power connectors, i.e. just two wires coming out. I was expecting to find clever digital internals - but there's none, so the smart part is within the Fazua battery pack, not the charger. Hmm, why the fancy price for the charger then?

I also found the Rosenberger connector is expensive at £25+ - pretty annoying since the Fazua just requires 2 wires, no intelligence. Due to no Rosenberger connector, I haven't tested the cheap replacement yet.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Before the Boardman was released, Fazua ebikes were typically £3k to £4k.

For that you got a £750 ally roadie with the Fazua motor.

There did seem to be a substantial premium being charged for the motor.

Bosch ebikes are not cheap, but £1,750 would get you one bolted to a £500 trekking bike.

Also bear in mind the most expensive component to buy - the battery - is twice the size, so one might think a Fazua motor should add less than a Bosch motor to the price of the bike, not more.

Everyone has to make a living, but the dearer Fazua bikes looked close to profiteering.

richtea

You're right, Pale Rider, the premium is around £1000-1250 for the battery system. I'll wait for a Fazua-based model to drop below £2k before buying another. Because of my height, I need a an XL frame so it has to be the ADV not the HYB model.

In terms of battery value, I don't need the extra energy (or the extra wattage that some others offer), and I appreciate the tidy Fazua design.
I really just need a little extra up the hills - but as ever, it's horses for courses. Give it another 10 years, and I'll want double the power!

Top Bottom