Boardman ADV 8.9 E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
TyrannosaurusTreks

TyrannosaurusTreks

Formerly known as Giantbadge
I’m lucky enough to have a handle

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I had same problem with battery first few times, dropped the blasted thing as it was heavier than I thought. Now my system is to unlock battery, pull battery into frame, this I feel releases the tension on the lock, push lock and gently drop the battery on to the front tyre, turn lock and release key, switch on battery, pull battery back into frame until I hear it click home, then push lock to test it wont fall out. Well it works ok for me.
Never thought about pulling the battery into the frame whilst pushing the lock - I'll give that a try.

Couldn't ride it to work today as it started clunking noisily on each pedal rotation yesterday on the way in and got much worse on the way home. Took a look when I got into the flat and as I suspected, the bottom bracket unit was loose. I went to get my allen keys to tighten the loose bolts and then found they were Torx bolts. Tightened one a little with an allen key to see how loose it was, but didn't use any pressure for fear of stripping the Torx head. It was actually VERY loose.

Torx set on order from Amazon and should be arriving at the private Amazon locker at work today.

goo_mason

The Fazua system is designed to be detachable, so the OP ought to think about if he will ever want to remove it.
I'm pretty sure TyrannosaurusTreks mean Loctite Threadlocker rather than Loctite glue. Threadlock will stop them loosening off by themselves through vibration etc, but you can still loosen the bolts off and remove them when required.

I ordered some the other day and it's due to be delivered on Monday. I already received my Torx key set and was able to tighten the loose bolts up, but I'll remove and apply threadlock to each one once it's arrived. That should stop any further unintended loosening issues!

Scaleyback

Veteran
I'm pretty sure TyrannosaurusTreks mean Loctite Threadlocker rather than Loctite glue. Threadlock will stop them loosening off by themselves through vibration etc, but you can still loosen the bolts off and remove them when required.

I ordered some the other day and it's due to be delivered on Monday. I already received my Torx key set and was able to tighten the loose bolts up, but I'll remove and apply threadlock to each one once it's arrived. That should stop any further unintended loosening issues!

Poor Halfords 'ready to ride' check ?

CXRAndy

Guru
Blue thread lock fluid or paste. Clean threads off oil and grease as best as possible. The threadlock will seal the threads to stop moisture and stop them coming loose.

goo_mason

Poor Halfords 'ready to ride' check ?
I don't know - compared to two previous bikes I got on my previous employer's Bike to Work scheme, this one was very well put together and the two guys in the shop were extremely knowledgeable and both were bike addicts (we had a long discussion about N+1 and how we all had houses full of bikes and bike bits).

Previous staff have been hopelessly clueless about bikes & basic bike maintenance and I'd had the saddle slide off the rails of the first bike within 10 minutes, the gears were totally unindexed on the first & second bikes and various fittings dropped off both previous bikes before I'd done 5 miles (oh, and they lost a wheel I'd had to hand back for a total rebuild after spokes were snapping daily by the 2nd week of ownership of the 2nd bike)

I think I've just been unlucky with the eBike and the bolts have likely been tight but not super-tight and have eventually rattled themselves loose on the cobbles outside my flat and the awful road & path surfaces in Edinburgh.

Smudge

Veteran
I notice they also do a flat bar version, 300 quid cheaper at £2,200...

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/electric-bikes/boardman-hyb-8-9e-mens-hybrid-electric-bike

A few other differences apart from the flat bar. 10 speed instead of 11, plus different tyres and prob other differences i haven't noticed. But for my riding, often canal paths & easy tracks, i think i would prefer flat bars and the slightly lesser specced gears wouldn't bother me. Its also 1/2 kilo lighter at 15.5kg. This weight would be just about low enough for me to carry the bike up steps on bridges over canals & railway tracks. My previous & current ebike is too heavy for that, and i end up taking a longer route to avoid them.
Still a bit hesitant about whether i could live with a 7amp/hr battery, but guess that's the trade off to get a lightweight ebike.
£2.2k, is still more than i would want to pay for this ebike, but with Halfords many sales & discount codes that come around regularly, it could be a viable deal for me. 15% reduction would bring it down to £1,870 and could be enough to make it a fair deal for me.

Last edited:

goo_mason

I notice they also do a flat bar version, 300 quid cheaper at £2,200...

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/electric-bikes/boardman-hyb-8-9e-mens-hybrid-electric-bike

A few other differences apart from the flat bar. 10 speed instead of 11, plus different tyres and prob other differences i haven't noticed. But for my riding, often canal paths & easy tracks, i think i would prefer flat bars and the slightly lesser specced gears wouldn't bother me. Its also 1/2 kilo lighter at 15.5kg. This weight would be just about low enough for me to carry the bike up steps on bridges over canals & railway tracks. My previous & current ebike is too heavy for that, and i end up taking a longer route to avoid them.
Still a bit hesitant about whether i could live with a 7amp/hr battery, but guess that's the trade off to get a lightweight ebike.
£2.2k, is still more than i would want to pay for this ebike, but with Halfords many sales & discount codes that come around regularly, it could be a viable deal for me. 15% reduction would bring it down to £1,870 and could be enough to make it a fair deal for me.
To be honest, you will likely get away without using an e-assist for quite a bit of any journey (unless it's all uphill or into a roaring headwind all the way - or both!), so the battery is likely to last a lot longer than you might think, and even then you may get away with using the lowest power setting when you DO use it, so you can eke more life out of it.

Or, at £300 cheaper, you could buy a second battery with that saved money and carry it with you for extra range.... :laugh:

Smudge

Veteran
To be honest, you will likely get away without using an e-assist for quite a bit of any journey (unless it's all uphill or into a roaring headwind all the way - or both!), so the battery is likely to last a lot longer than you might think, and even then you may get away with using the lowest power setting when you DO use it, so you can eke more life out of it.

Or, at £300 cheaper, you could buy a second battery with that saved money and carry it with you for extra range.... :laugh:

I doubt i'd get away with using lowest power setting, prob mid or even high in places. But its hard to tell until i've rode this particular ebike. My current and previous ebikes have been hub drive, without the torque of this CD motor, so i've only them to gauge against it. Even so, i would be able to do more distance and hills on this bike that i really struggle with on my unassisted bikes.
I've had to remove the ekit from my hybrid, after 6 years its had its day, the hybrid itself is pretty low spec anyway. So this winter i'll be looking for a decent ready built ebike to replace it. I still have my Raleigh ebike and its great for what i use it for, but its too heavy and utilitarian for other uses.
If Halfords do a good deal on one, then i'll be taking a serious look at it to purchase.

Top Bottom