Boardman bikes Any good (cycle2work scheme)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrMister111

Über Member
I have a diamond back M05 from last year but thinking (and I was advised by the forums!) I should have paid more and got a better bike.

To be honest I haven't used it that much, but the scheme at work is on again and it is a lot cheaper to buy using this and it emds at the end of the month.

So was thinking of getting another one and selling the diamondback. I think a hybrid is better as I only ride around the streets and never been off road apart from coastline hills etc, basic off road I would say. is this the best chicd you think for this type of riding?

So I now can use any retailer but all the lads at work rave about the Boardmans, are they good bikes?

Been looking on site and Thera a hybrid fir around £500 would this be good, I think it wouldn't go anymore than £750 as I say I really would have to use it more if I pay thins much.

Any hints/tips/recommendations, or even should I just stick to my Diamondback, or will getting a Boardman really be that much better?

Cheers

cloggsy

Boardmanist
It's just the brand-snobs who say Boardman bikes are rubbish (IMHO!) If anything it's Halfords who are rubbish. Buy the bike and take it to a LBS to get it set up properly!

The bikes are awesome & if the sticker on the frame said "Cannondale' (et al) rather than 'Boardman' they'd be twice the price (and some!)

I'm biased of course 'cause I ride a Boardman and I love it!

festival

Über Member
While i agree, generally halfrauds are rubbish, I would say the boardmans are ok but often the kit on the bike doesnt match the frame or wheels.
The frames do not give as compliant a ride as some others.
But of course a lot of people wouldnt know the difference.
Up to £750 gives you better options, dont be beguiled by up grades in some areas of kit, its the frame & wheels that are the heart of the bike.
For a pure road bike how about the giant escape 1 at £650 or for a bit of path riding the giant roam xr3 at £695

adscrim

Veteran
The Hybrid comp appears to be a whole lot of bike for the money. The spec is good for the price, it looks good and if it's anything like to two Boardman bikes I own, it will ride well too. As for the bike snobs, most have had to admit that the boardman bikes are both excellent bikes and value for money. However, as they are bike snobs, they would never buy a bike from Halfords!

AaronC

I have a Boardman Hybrid Comp, and I think its brilliant. I ride mainly on the roads, but I have actually been off road with it too; canal towpaths, grassy paths etc.

Its great on the road, but off road you do really feel the bumps and stuff which is to be expected :smile:

I don't think you'll be disappointed if you buy a Boardman :smile:

Howard

If you find one that fits, and can get a good test ride in, then go for it - you could do a lot, lot worse.

The new Boardman CX bikes look awesome, too.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
While i agree, generally halfrauds are rubbish, I would say the boardmans are ok but often the kit on the bike doesnt match the frame or wheels.
The frames do not give as compliant a ride as some others.
But of course a lot of people wouldnt know the difference.
Up to £750 gives you better options, dont be beguiled by up grades in some areas of kit, its the frame & wheels that are the heart of the bike.
For a pure road bike how about the giant escape 1 at £650 or for a bit of path riding the giant roam xr3 at £695

Isn't that slightly weakening your argument that Boardman's are only 'ok'?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Just bought the Boardman Hybrid for the wife and its's a great bike, nice ride, comfortable, sprightly, likes to be ridden fast with very sensible gearing and great brakes.
Excellent VFM for a good all-rounder bike.

Attachments

• Copy (2) of IMG_1669.JPG
    Copy (2) of IMG_1669.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 136
OP
OP
M

MrMister111

Über Member
So looks like a decent bike then? I'm not snobby at all so not bothered what people think!

As not knowing about bikes and bike parts, what's the difference between Boardman comp and team hybrids then please?

I'm a little worried about Halfords building it to as people have said, my diamondback last year I picked up, rode it 1/2 way home and the handlebars came loose!! I believe that the Boardmans are build by boardman trained workers, not sure if this is really the case and how true or better it is really. How much would a local bike shop charge to check setup of it?

Cheers

cloggsy

Boardmanist
I'm a little worried about Halfords building it to as people have said, my diamondback last year I picked up, rode it 1/2 way home and the handlebars came loose!! I believe that the Boardmans are build by boardman trained workers, not sure if this is really the case and how true or better it is really. How much would a local bike shop charge to check setup of it?

You could always buy it boxed and get a LBS to build it and set it up for you?

I'm having 'issues' with my front mech after Halfwits 'set my bike up,' going back to get this sorted soon :rolleyes:

Top Bottom