Boardman bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
hubgearfreak said:
i agree about the 2X front wheel and disc brake problem
but then i wouldn't be buying any of these, let alone all three:ohmy:

an aluminium bike
a bike from halfords
a hybrid bike

so i'm not too fussed

well i've got the first two, although all that's left now that's "halfords" is the handlebars (the frame, as i've discovered, is a merida badged as carrera). and it's a great bike as it now is, and a good bike for the money as it was.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
hubgearfreak said:
i simply don't believe that a bike designed for town use needs 18 or however many gears hybrids have, at least in lincoln:biggrin:
I have 21 gears on my hybrid, trust me, where I now live in Durham I could do with more, or as an optional accesory, a tow truck !

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
When I got back into cycling 4 years ago, I needed all 27 gears on the bike. Now I don't need them to commute, but they're useful when I'm out on a longer ride and want a bit of a rest.

Let's not forget that many people who buy the 'easier' hybrids are just starting out and having a few granny gears helps.

Thats me !!

barq

Let's not forget that many people who buy the 'easier' hybrids are just starting out and having a few granny gears helps.

Absolutely. Besides many people buy them for commuting where they don't necessarily want to arrive all sweaty.

jay clock

Massive member
I have a an aluminium hybrid from Halfords. So all 3! It is the renowned Carerra Subway 1. Admittedly I have replaced much of the kit, but even as the basic bike it was great. I use it as a commuter/runaround, can take panniers for shopping, going to the pool, has done a 60 mile road trip in a morning, and with some knobbly tyres would be a good unsprung MTB. I have five bikes in all, this one gets most use, and I certainly feel it is much better value for money than my £1500 road bike or my £1500 mtb.

barq

jay clock said:
I have a an aluminium hybrid from Halfords. So all 3!

Actually that's a fair point. The Carerras have a pretty good reputation, and Halfords also sell other good brands like Kona and Voodoo. What remains is that issue of correct assembly - fine if you can do it yourself - not so good if you can't (and I'm going to assume most people can't - hence my objection to Halfords). When I was a total newbie and bought a Halfords bike it had several dangerous assembly errors which I only discovered when out riding.

jay clock said:
I have five bikes in all, this one gets most use, and I certainly feel it is much better value for money than my £1500 road bike or my £1500 mtb.

Yep. My £2000 MTB certainly isn't five times better or more fun than my £400 hardtail. If I were feeling especially perverse I'd argue that my old (now stolen) £100 Apollo was the best value of all because I did nearly 2500 miles on it which represents better value for money (£/mile) than any other bike to date. :ohmy: It was pretty miserable riding though! :ohmy:

Watch the rear axles - I've ridden mine for about 15 months (or 5.5k miles) and have sufferred with a rear cone failure. Trying to get spares....have contacted Boardman - no response. I believe the Hybrid Pro axle size is 145mm x 10mm - but if I order a generic QR axle will it work?!?!? Info from anyone would be good.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Watch the rear axles - I've ridden mine for about 15 months (or 5.5k miles) and have sufferred with a rear cone failure. Trying to get spares....have contacted Boardman - no response. I believe the Hybrid Pro axle size is 145mm x 10mm - but if I order a generic QR axle will it work?!?!? Info from anyone would be good.
Your contract and rights under sale of goods act are with the retailer not the manufacturer marketing company brand.

What brand are the wheels/hubs?

The retailer is Halfords. I've got no problems replacing the worn parts myself - it's a simple enough job. Ideally I'd like to replace like with like or better - so knowing which bits are in there in the 1st place was the logical 1st step (in my mind anyway). Hence contacting Boardman. As they supposedly designed the bike it would be logical to assume they know what parts it's made out of and also where to source replacements. The hubs are the Formula Disc 32 hole variety.

I've seen generic 145mmx10mm axle sets out there for £5-6. If they're OK I can replace the existing axle and cones easily. The failure I had totalled the "dust covers" though and getting replacements for those seems like a nigh on impossible job.

Top Bottom