Boardman bikes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hmmm, not sure.

They're aluminium and off-the-peg finishing kit, not sure they're that brilliant value - what would you get from big names like Spesh, Trek or Giant for that sort of money ?

And they're being sold in Halfrauds....

...but then that perhaps means that half the year they'll be in the sales and will be good value !

I'm amused at Chris riding one on the ITV4 Tour program. An ovious plug, I'd do it in his place, but looks like he's never met the bike before, it's just been pulled-out from the back of a van and it's not set-up right for him, doesn't give the impression it's his everyday ride.

The first couple of days the downtube logos were very obvious, the camera even panned down to it (he'd slipped the cameraman a fiver ?), but now it looks like they've covered them with black tape.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I agree that they look pretty good at each price point. I think Boardman will have been pretty involved as he's very much 'hands on' when it comes to stuff like this.

My only comment would be that it's a shame the trekking/flat bar bike range doesn't have triples. I think that people shopping at Halfords are likely to be beginners, and they perhaps in particular would appreciate some lower gears, especially to get around towns round here like Kendal and Lancaster.

Also I would also have given the entry level road bike mudguard clearances and rack eyes. It would have made it a more flexible option as a commuter/ winter training / audax, etc

FinallyI hope they get the Halfords staff trained up well enough to support the products, especially in the sizing and fit departments.

OP
OP
C

Ceedee

My only comment would be that it's a shame the trekking/flat bar bike range doesn't have triples. I think that people shopping at Halfords are likely to be beginners, and they perhaps in particular would appreciate some lower gears, especially to get around towns round here like Kendal and Lancaster.

Good point, I know what you mean living in West Yorkshire.

Ceedee said:
I think that people shopping at Halfords are likely to be beginners, and they perhaps in particular would appreciate some lower gears, especially to get around towns round here like Kendal and Lancaster.

Yeah true.

Not that good value, think what you could get for the same amount if you go to a real bike shop and not Halfords.

If I was new to getting a bike then I quess its ok, but if you know abit about bikes you really wanting to get better spec for your cash and you can if you look around.

I used to own a carrera zelos moutain bike that was made by merida but was know as a halfords brand, so I got a lot of 'you should buy a proper bike etc....'

The bike was a good bike with good spec and but I got fed up with having the piss taken out of me on rides so decided to convert it into a commuter, until the frame broke.

Anyway the boardman bikes could make the best frames and put the best kit on their bikes and it still will make no difference as everyone will still know it as a halfords bike.

Not saying they are no good but the 'ow you have got a halfords bike can be a turn off.

That's another fast flat-barred bike with disc brakes on. There's absolutely no need for the extra fiddliness, expense and weight.
That's my next project you're talking about (if I ever have the money). Riding where I do, mostly on country lanes, rims and brake blocks wear through in no time. Plus discs stop better in bad weather. What's not to like?

yenrod

Talking of halfords - I'll never forget the lad who was incredibly helpfull whilst on a cycle break with a friend in Llanberis @ the Bangor store: so much soo his manager came out and told him to go back to work ! I was amazed at this attitude of management when he was giving such sevice: no wonder it's crap with management like that yet some of the workers in that lads case 1st class !!!

I just don't see a need for them on a commuting bike. They're more expensive, heavier, and fiddlier. Fine for mud and gritty tracks, but not necessary on the road. IMO.
The roads round here are muddy and gritty. We also have rain. I believe disc work better in the rain than rim brakes. I'd pay to have that 5 days a week. And why worry about a few grammes of extra weight on a commuter?

Top Bottom