Boardman CX 2014: Replacing Freehub Body

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BristolBikerMan

I read on here on another thread that the freehub body part from halfords comes with an allon key adapter to remove the part.

I've stripped the rear wheel down on a CX 2014, and the freehub body seems to want a 12 point multi spline tool to remove it.

I went to several tool shops and one of them had a set of multi spline tools, up to T12, this did not fit (just too small).

I've measured the widest part with an internal digi caliper and its 12.6mm.

I can see a lot of T14 sized tools available online but no 13mm which would seem the nearest fit to 12.6...

Does anyone know where the hell I can get this tool? Halfords said they don't have any (where the part came from)

Cheers

YbGfJ19.jpg

fDquOg6.jpg

I have an MX Comp ( very similar freehub ) I used molegrips / Stillson / Brute force.

lpretro1

If u are just replacing the freehub body u don't need to go any further than just removing it from the wheel with the allen key. Or r u wanting to strip it down?

OP
OP
B

BristolBikerMan

Maybe I'm struggling to articulate myself.

Look at the very centre of the free hub body - it isn't an allen key, it's 12 point multispline internal drive.

How would a mole grip achieve this? The multispine shaft is threaded inside the hub - not one part of it is externally accessible.

Furthermore the bit beneath the threads is not suitable for this, as the threaded part spins freely independently of the rest of the freehub body.

Tim Hall

Are you sure it's not just a double hex head? Two sets of hexagons, offset. If it is, a standard hex key should fit (although the 12.6mm is a bit of a puzzle).

Is the image of the one you want to put back on in place of the existing one?

OP
OP
B

BristolBikerMan

Tried a 10mm hex key and it wasn't big enough.

12mm hex key was too big

You can see from the picture the pattern is not offset.

wonderloaf

Veteran
I've just replaced the freehub on my Shimano wheels and I'm sure they had a similar star shaped arrangement, I just used a hex key to remove it. You say a 10mm hex is too small and a 12mm hex is too big, so how about an 11mm hex key:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-4276-Hex-Bit/dp/B003AN5O3W
You say you measured across the widest part @ 12.6mm, whats the measurement across the flats .... that way you can get the hex key size.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You bin the whole freehub and fit another. Did you remove with an allen key (10-12mm). You just fit a new unit with the allen key. These things don't come to bits easily.

Tim Hall

You bin the whole freehub and fit another. Did you remove with an allen key (10-12mm). You just fit a new unit with the allen key. These things don't come to bits easily.
Yes, but as I understand it @BristolBikerMan hasn't got the old one off yet. On account of not having the right tool. (My suggestion of it being a double hex socket was more in hope than anything else)

OP
OP
B

BristolBikerMan

I'm not gonna guess my way into buying tools I don't need.

I haven't got the old one off yet, someone MUST have done this job, and knows exactly what tool to use. Until I get this answer from someone who has done the job, I'm keeping my money in my pocket.

I probably have an 11mm key, just couldn't find the bugger at the time.

wonderloaf

Veteran
A quick online search shows a distance of 12.6mm across the widest part equates to 11mm across flats (near as dammit) so the 11mm hex key could be worth trying.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Right, shimano normally use a 10mm from the drive side. Some non-shimano copies ones use a 12mm hex from the non-drive side. That's what I used with my wife's bike. Yes, it looks impossible but it took me cleaning the hub out to find the hex shape and a very fine bolt that was accessible from the non-drive side.

Top Bottom