Boardman CX Comp as a tourer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alba Zeus

Über Member
Looking to do a small tour this year Oban>Tarbet>Dunoon>Glasgow (200ish miles) & was looking to see if the gravel bike I currently have would be an option as it has decent mount points etc.

Route is relatively hilly.

Bike weighs 11KG and has a 50/34 compact chainset paired with an 11-30 cassette. Tyres currently on the bike ar 37mm gravel tyres but these could be changed of course.

Any input greatly appreciated.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Wide tyres, strong frame - sounds ideal. I would want some lower gears to get up those hills, especially if carrying tent etc. That's not to difficult or expensive to achieve.

How many days do you plan to spread the 200 miles over?

Have fun!

Jameshow

Veteran
You could change the cassette for a 11-36 which would give you lower gears for those hillier sections or when your done in!!

Looking to do a small tour this year Oban>Tarbet>Dunoon>Glasgow (200ish miles) & was looking to see if the gravel bike I currently have would be an option as it has decent mount points etc.

Route is relatively hilly.

Bike weighs 11KG and has a 50/34 compact chainset paired with an 11-30 cassette. Tyres currently on the bike ar 37mm gravel tyres but these could be changed of course.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Sorry to be "that guy" but it depends.......

A 200* mile trip could be a day out for some folk and a lovely week of camping for others ^_^

It depends on you - how fit and strong you are, if you like to go fast or dawdle.
It depends on the load. The heavier the load and hillier the route the more important gearing becomes.
It might also depend on the surfaces you plan on riding.

Personally, that gearing (34/30) would frighten me for the hills. But that's me.
Bigger tyres are more comfortable for me.

The best thing you can do is to load up the bike as you expect and go off and find yourself the steepest hill.
If not used to riding loaded, load up and test yourself out on different surfaces too.
At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter what any of us think - you have to ride it.

A good route planner like https://cycle.travel/map will give a decent indication of surfaces and gradients.

Possibly as important is to be as familiar with the bike as possible and make sure that everything is working as it should.

* Are you sure about the 200 miles? Cycle Travel suggests its more like 200km

Touring is great! Scotland's lovely. That's a pretty good combination ^_^

bobzmyunkle

Personally, that gearing (34/30) would frighten me for the hills. But that's me.
Looking at Alba's photo, I'd say he's quite a bit younger than me when I used to tour with that sort of ratio.
Like you say - it depends. Lightweight/credit card or 4 panniers, a tent and the kitchen sink.
Get out and try it, then refine the experience.

I've found it's better not to assume what components are on what bike. Things get changed out. Different models can have different specs.
It's no harm to be aware that changing a cassette is not always a simple task.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've found it's better not to assume what components are on what bike. Things get changed out. Different models can have different specs.
It's no harm to be aware that changing a cassette is not always a simple task.
I had to change the rear mech on my CAADX when I did my conversion! (I now have 34/36.)

CAADX new cassette and rear mech.jpg

Ajax Bay

Guru
Oban>Tarbet>Dunoon>Glasgow
Here's a 200 mile route - well a few miles over but some loops one could short cut: 338km + 4111m : https://ridewithgps.com/routes/42316665?beta=false
The OP's gearing would be fine: there's a couple of very short 1:10s and that's it (just after Torinturk (140k) and Whistlefield (262k)).
I would fit road tyres: the only 'rough stuff' is gentle rough looping round from Kilmory (@ 96k) which would be fine on 28s.
I have not ridden all these roads.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/full...hash=38161a94e8a54f3deeb78efec172d25bb42ed28e
1679593866864.png

OP
OP
Alba Zeus

Alba Zeus

Über Member
Thanks for all the replies.

I plan on B&Bing it over 3 days so will have some kit on the bike but defo not tent etc.

Best bet is to get out on the bike with the rough weight I will be carrying and see how that goes.

Appreciate all the input.

Suppose I could just get some bikepacking frame bags & saddle bags and take the electric Orbea :laugh:

The route is defo 200 miles https://cycle.travel/map/journey/406724 with a fair bit of elevation.
You're aware that route starts in Oban, goes to Tarbet on to Glasgow and back to Tarbet?
I only saw it because, depending on what you are using CT on (phone etc.) it's quite easy to inadvertently move via points or add an entire leg to a trip. Lord knows, I've done it more than once ^_^

I plan on B&Bing it over 3 days so will have some kit on the bike but defo not tent etc.
If you haven't done it before it's no harm to actually put all your stuff together just to see the volume and feel the weight. You'd be surprised how things add up

Suppose I could just get some bikepacking frame bags & saddle bags and take the electric Orbea :laugh:
Touring on Ebikes is becoming more and more common. That's good for all of us.

Have a great trip and maybe consider a write up here https://www.cyclechat.net/forums/member-travelogues.46/

Top Bottom