Boardman CX Comp as a tourer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I've put a 11-36 cassette on my Boardman CX and it works fine as is. Mudguards and a rack fit with Schwalbe Durano 28mm road tyres. I think it would be an ok B&B tourer.

If there is any criticism, it's that it's a pretty solid frame. So bigger tyres / less pressure would help with comfort.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Looking to do a small tour this year Oban>Tarbet>Dunoon>Glasgow (200ish miles) & was looking to see if the gravel bike I currently have would be an option as it has decent mount points etc.

Route is relatively hilly.

Bike weighs 11KG and has a 50/34 compact chainset paired with an 11-30 cassette. Tyres currently on the bike ar 37mm gravel tyres but these could be changed of course.

Any input greatly appreciated.

My 12 year old son cycled to Geneva on his last summer. The bike was fantastic.

IMG_7206.JPG

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Worth keeping in mind the provision (or lack thereof) of mounting points on the bike for mudguards, panniers etc - being a CX bike it's very, very unlikely to have any of these.

Going by @Tim Bennet.'s post this isn't insurmountable, however a lack of mounting points will limit your options and maybe bring a few more compromises than you might get on a more utility-oriented frame.

Sounds like a great trip :smile:

Jameshow

Veteran
Worth keeping in mind the provision (or lack thereof) of mounting points on the bike for mudguards, panniers etc - being a CX bike it's very, very unlikely to have any of these.

Going by @Tim Bennet.'s post this isn't insurmountable, however a lack of mounting points will limit your options and maybe bring a few more compromises than you might get on a more utility-oriented frame.

Sounds like a great trip :smile:

Looks from the pic above like it does have rack points and I expect mudguard points too.

"Boardman also provides fittings for mudguards and mounts, hinting at the CX Comp’s other potential use as a rugged commuter, priced well within the Cycle to Work limit." CW review

My Scott CX doesn't though.

Last edited:

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
The front forks on my Boardman CX don't have lower eyes for mudguards, but cable ties and insulating tape have kept them secure for years.

The rear has eyes.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
*cough* :whistle:

CAADX with SKS Longboards and rackslightly tilted saddle.jpg

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I like the bike but I think it is probably a bit heavy for racing on, even without the extras!

I guess they've tried to make it as wide-rangingly appealing / versatile if it's relatively entry-level..

It's all good - I just find it incongruous that something whose name so specifically suggests use for a particular sport also encompasses design features that are of absolutely no use for said sport.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Thanks for all the replies.

I plan on B&Bing it over 3 days so will have some kit on the bike but defo not tent etc.

Best bet is to get out on the bike with the rough weight I will be carrying and see how that goes.

Appreciate all the input.

Suppose I could just get some bikepacking frame bags & saddle bags and take the electric Orbea :laugh:

Your ride is 70 miles a day so I would argue any bike you're comfortable riding will be suitable. With B&Bing the extra kit you need is evening clothes and spare cycling clothing - lightweight trousers, T-shirt, top of some sort, underwear, toothbrush. For your cycle kit spare base layer, jersey, bibs (not essential) rain jacket.

I'd suggest your only concern is finding a small bag you can pop that lot in. I have a Restrap 8 litre Bag which I'd use for this purpose. There's a 14 litre version if you want to carry loads more stuff.

With this bag you have to consider where you would pack tubes, levers etc. I just pop mine in the bag.

* That's a very good price for this bag. I paid +/-£100 for mine.

Screenshot_20230325_050017_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom