Boardman HYB 8.6 Reliability

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave1963

I have the Boardman HYB 8.6 bought from Halfords just before lockdown. Generally satisfied with it overall but I've had a few reliability issues. Within 6 months the bottom bracket had to be replaced (within guarantee), I've had spokes break on the front (3 times) and rear (2 times), and have gone through a chain and rear cassette. I travelled a total of 3000km (2000miles) in 20 months over roads and cycle tracks that are little hilly but not overly demanding. Does this history of problems seem reasonable for such a bike with the Boardman reputation?

CXRAndy

Guru
The bike is quite low budget (£500), even though with a decent specification.

The bottom bracket-covered warranty.

The wheels could likely poor tension/cheaper wheels

The chain and cassette, normal wear and tear for the miles covered

Sharky

Guru
Reasonable for the chain & cassette.

I had a decathlon which needed a replacement BB after about 3 months. I think manufacturers advertise their bikes as Shimano or Campag groupsets, but source the hidden components with cheaper parts. In my case, I used the bike for commuting and covered in excess of 150 miles per week. Probably much greater than they expected the average buyer would do. They replaced the BB, actually, they replaced the whole bike and let me keep the old one as well!

The wheel/spoke breakages do seem unreasonable, but does depend on usage, rider weight etc.

OP
OP
Dave1963

Dave1963

Fair points about chain and cassette, usual wear and tear. BB seems fine now after one year of having it replaced, interesting point about cheaper components inside the frame. The spokes are the real pain, seems to once a month at the moment. Will get Halfords to check the tension for all the spokes. Thanks for the feedback.

Alex321

Veteran
The Boardman Hybrid I was riding until a few weeks ago seemed to go through Bottom Brackets at about 1500 mile intervals. It was the second one going (after a total on the bike of just over 3000 miles) that allowed me to justify the purchase of a new bike to my wife.

Other than that I had no reliability issues with it.

Top Bottom