Boardman Hybrid 8.9 with Deore 12+1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sloth

Anyone got or tried one of these?

I like the idea of 12 speed and only one front gear to keep things simple but I'm not sure of I'd sacrifice too much if I want to climb hills without 'grinding'?

Are Boardman any good?
The spec looks good, Deore 12 speed, Ali frame with carbon form and hydro brakes?
Anyone?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you got a link to the specs (number of teeth/cogs).
Boardman are generally good value but some of the Halfords set up can be hit and miss depending on your local shop

vickster

Legendary Member
External cabling and lack of quick release front wheel is a shame though?

Does it have Thru Axles instead of QR? Sone would say they are better on disc brake bikes.
I’ve never had a bike with anything but external cabling, not sure what the issue is (esp when internal cables can rattle on rough surfaces, aka U.K. roads!)

vickster

Legendary Member
Looks good.
Join British Cycling or Cycling U.K. for 10% off at Halfords (well worthwhile esp on an £1100 bike)

Twilkes

Guru
I’ve never had a bike with anything but external cabling, not sure what the issue is (esp when internal cables can rattle on rough surfaces, aka U.K. roads!)

Yep, I never got my Cannondale internal cables to shut the hell up, rattling against the frame. My current Boardman has external cables and once I'm on the bike I don't even notice because they all run underneath the downtube and I can't even see them. Unless you have fully internal cables (i.e. through the bars/stem/headset/frame which is a total pain to maintain and replace) you will still always have the little bend of cable up between your bars anyway.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Hmmm, that’s a point, I hate rattling and clanking be it on a bike or in my car.
Perhaps external cabling isn’t so bad, as long as it’s tucked away nice and best?

vickster

Legendary Member
Hmmm, that’s a point, I hate rattling and clanking be it on a bike or in my car.
Perhaps external cabling isn’t so bad, as long as it’s tucked away nice and best?

I’ve never seen untidy external cabling? (Granted some brifters have washing lines which are a bit meh but this doesn’t apply here)

At least it doesn’t have a pressfit BB like many Boardmans

Top Bottom