Boardman Hybrid Comp and Halfords experience.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Phixion

Hey all!

I have just been to Halfords to look at the Boardman Hybrid Comp and I've not had a great experience.

The woman that served me wasn't very friendly or helpful, she came across rather abrupt and had the "can't be arsed" air about her.

I told her I was interested in the Boardman Hybrid Comp and she pulled out the Medium display model and had me stand over the bike and then sit on the saddle. I just about have clearance whilst standing over, I can feel the top tube between my legs and the saddle had to be lowered with only an inch or 2 of tube showing.

I felt as if the reach was a bit much so asked if they had any small models I could try and the answer was pretty much "no, this one fits you fine though", even after telling her the reach felt a bit long.

She said a few times that because my leg was straight on the down stroke of the pedal, that a smaller frame would have my leg bent incorrectly... I tried to explain to her that frame size doesn't have much to do with the position of my legs, it's more saddle height... which she couldn't seem to grasp.

So I questioned the dimensions and asked whether the small frame would give me a more relaxed posture and feel less stretched out, she looked at me weird and got a tape measure to measure the downtube... I then asked her to measure the top tube as that was my primary issue.

After telling me all dimensions would be the same regardless of frame size (yes, really) she checked online and told me the dimensions of the smaller frame and again said it would be too small for me.

She asked one of the guys behind her working on a bike whether I'd need a small and he said no, I'd need a medium, I told him I felt stretched on the medium and he said a small would be too small.

I'm 5'8" with pretty short legs (29" inner leg). I sold my old road bike because I didn't like the bent over/stretched posture.

The sizing guide suggests a Medium for anyone over 5'7" (click on the geometry tab) http://www.boardmanbikes.com/hybrid/hybrid_comp.html

I'm kinda confused... someone please reassure me. Is it because I've been off the bike for so long? Is it because I'm between sizes? Should I insist they build me a small aswell to try?

Any help is much appreciated.

vickster

Legendary Member
Find another Halfords with a more knowledgeable staff if you can and a small model - even if not that exact one I think the frame geometries will be the same across the range)...or find another retailer like Evans who offer test rides and a broad range of bikes

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I went to look at one of the Boardman CX bikes around xmas time and what I found was that the medium was a bit big so I asked them to get a small in to try as after looking at the boardman site it looked about the right size. They got a small in except when I measured it I found it was an XS, it said small but the measurements where the same as the XS on the boardman website in the end I gave up and didnt buy it as they said it was all they could get.

OP
OP
P

Phixion

Hmm, I don't think they do XS anymore, just S/M/L.

I really do want the Boardman Comp, the specs are far better than any other bike around the same price.

vickster

Legendary Member
Hmm, I don't think they do XS anymore, just S/M/L.

I really do want the Boardman Comp, the specs are far better than any other bike around the same price.
Order one into the store? Join British Cycling for £32, get 10% off at Halfords and other indispensable benefits for a year

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/boardman-hybrid-comp-bike-2014

Not sure what's so great about the spec, my almost new Whyte Cambridge cost me £400, better bike all round (bit perhaps I got lucky(

Big Nick

I have a Boardman Comp and I find the sizing quite generous

I went with a large frame (I'm 6') but to be honest it does feel slightly stretched out so maybe might of been better on a medium but didn't try one!

Sounds like you may be in between sizes!

It's an excellent bike by the way, quite light with a great frame and decent components

OP
OP
P

Phixion

Yes, I like the frame, especially the smooth welds.

Then there's the fact it's all SRAM X5 rather than a mix of components you find on many other bikes.

I also wanted mechanical disc brakes over hydraulic as they are easier to maintain.

And it's a double up front. Many hybrids opt for the triple up front.

Not sure what to do now, I may ask if they can get a small in so that I can double check sizes... I mean I'm spending enough money with them, they should be accommodating, right?

uclown2002

Guru
You don't need to ask them. Order a small online, reserve in store and get in built for free. You can try it for size before you pay in-store. As vickster said, join British cycling and get 10% off.

OP
OP
P

Phixion

Well, after doing some googling it seems that the Boardman bikes come up larger than "normal".

Many people my size and bigger have gone for a Small because the Medium felt too much of a stretch.

I think I'll pop in to my local Halfords tomorrow and sort it out, I have already paid for a Medium but they won't have it done til next Wednesday.

vickster

Legendary Member
Cancel as it's the wrong size, join British cycling, save money (and get legal and 3rd party cover, as well as other benefits). You don't want to be riding a bike that's too big, been there, got tennis elbow, needed two operations!

Top Bottom